Cutting out flooring close to a wall question

/ Cutting out flooring close to a wall question #1  

ben2go

Gold Member
I am replacing the sub flooring in a bathroom.The floor joist runs right below, and about an inch out, under a wall.I can't figure out how to get that last couple inches of the old sub floor out, so the new sub floor can lay on top of the joist.Anyone have any clever ideas,or should I suck it up, and sharpen my chisel?

/ Cutting out flooring close to a wall question #3  
Do I understand correctly that you're trying to remove the subflooring ftom beween the 2x4 bottom plate of the wall and the floor joist?

/ Cutting out flooring close to a wall question #4  
possible rent a jam saw from a rental company, it is basically a grinder with a dished saw blade and a special guard that works like guide, made for cutting off doors in place, or jams when putting in new floors act, on edge against the wall one should be able to cut flush with the wall, buying one is it not a low cost item,
Roberts Long Neck Jamb and Undercut Saw with Molded Case-10-55 at The Home Depot

another possibility is harbor freights toe kick saw,
I think there still for sale, 3-3/8" Blade Toe-Kick Saw

the osolating saw will work as well it would take some time with one,

what I would most likely do if I am under standing you correctly is to cut as close as you can (guessing the ply wood is ok under the floor), and then scab on a 2x4 to the joist to add some lip (glue and screws) and put down the new floor,

/ Cutting out flooring close to a wall question #5  
I am replacing the sub flooring in a bathroom.The floor joist runs right below, and about an inch out, under a wall.I can't figure out how to get that last couple inches of the old sub floor out, so the new sub floor can lay on top of the joist.Anyone have any clever ideas,or should I suck it up, and sharpen my chisel?
You don't say why you're replacing the sub floor...or what the new flooring will be...

If the sub floor is is in decent shape (along the walls) and is the same depth/thickness as what you are replacing...I would use a regular circular saw and hold the edge of the saw plate against the bottom plate of the walls...leaving 1-1/2" of sub flooring chisel the corners and fill it in...you can 45* cut the corners for less chiseling...

/ Cutting out flooring close to a wall question #6  
I suspect the sub floor was laid before the wall went up. When you remove the sub from under that wall, something is gonna give eventually. Also there will be no support for the floor on the other side of that wall until it picks up a floor joist 14 and a half inches from the other side of the wall. I would laminate another joist on the bathroom side, and build the new sub floor up level.

/ Cutting out flooring close to a wall question #7  
You don't say why you're replacing the sub floor...or what the new flooring will be...

If the sub floor is is in decent shape (along the walls) and is the same depth/thickness as what you are replacing...I would use a regular circular saw and hold the edge of the saw plate against the bottom plate of the walls...leaving 1-1/2" of sub flooring chisel the corners and fill it in...you can 45* cut the corners for less chiseling...

This sounds correct for the cutting. But he needs to expose at least half of the top of the joist that is only 1" away from the wall to carry the new sub flooring, if I am picturing it correctly. For that, as noted in the next post, you could add a 2x4 onto the side of the joist for a place to screw/nail the new sub flooring.

/ Cutting out flooring close to a wall question #8  
one of thode oscilating tools can be had cheap from HF.. cheaper than a flush cut saw...

/ Cutting out flooring close to a wall question #9  
I just use a recp saw careful over the top of the joist. It might be alot easier to scab on a 2*4 to the side of the joist and just leave the 1" of flooring there.

/ Cutting out flooring close to a wall question #10  
one of thode oscilating tools can be had cheap from HF.. cheaper than a flush cut saw...

+1, once you use it, you'll start looking for other uses for it. I use HF tools for those jobs that I think I won't be doing again (or much).