How do you enjoy your free time?

/ How do you enjoy your free time? #1  

El Wood

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3320
Me, I love being outside in nature. Here in Michigan, there are plenty of woods and waterways to explore.

I think my fondness of the outdoors started when I was young. I often spent my free time out in the woods with friends. I remember spending an entire day one time with my best friend building a log walking bridge over a small stream in the middle of the woods. We had a blast building it. Wish I had my tractor back then!

My family also spend a lot of time "up north" camping and fishing on the lakes. I found out when I met my wife, who is from Ohio, that "up north" is a Michigan phrase. She had no idea what it meant. I had to rephrase and start stories with, "When we were in northern Michigan one time...."

These days, nothing beats a long walk along my tree line with my dog. I love watching the birds soaring around in the sky or the squirrels hoping around in the branches. I even enjoy the way my boots feel on the soft dirt. Sometimes we'll cut of the trail and make our own path. It's fun poking around, looking under logs and rocks. My dog usually is a great help with this.

Occasionally we'll stop and take a seat against a tree and watch the forest come alive around us. When I was young, I hunted a lot but these days I like just watching the animals in their environment. I enjoy the way the leaves fall and the trees sway with the wind.

On warm summer nights, nothing beats sitting out under the stars. Usually my dad will drop by and join me. Not sure what he enjoys better, the stars or the big cigars he brings with him. I have to admit though, I don't mind the smell of those cigars... It reminds me of when we would go pheasant hunting in corn fields when I was a kid.

How do you enjoy your free time? Working outside or spending time with family?

/ How do you enjoy your free time? #2  
I love being outside, working on something. What I have really got to hate is the winters. I live in a rural area, and it gets old pretty fast. I had to run by generator 13 days in November and December. Nothing like listening to the genny run, knowing if that quits, you must move fast to keep your house from freezing in sub zero temps. Not to mention having to deal with several feet of snow....

I keep thinking of leaving Michigan.

/ How do you enjoy your free time? #3  
I agree with spending lots of time out side as i live in Michigan but do agree wit 300uguy about the cold winters but i just throw on my carhartts and go plow snow

/ How do you enjoy your free time? #4  
I enjoy walks in the woods, but out West, you have to be real careful poking around rocks and logs!
Rattlesnakes!
Blackwidow spiders!
Brown recluse spiders!
Tarantulas! (not poisonous, but scary as h*ll...)

/ How do you enjoy your free time? #5  
Enjoy doing anything outside no matter what time of year. Living in the mid Atlantic get to experience all four seasons with all types of weather. Right now there is an owl outside hooting away. Family and outside nothing better

/ How do you enjoy your free time?
I agree with you about leaving Michigan after the winter we've had. As much as I try to get outside during the winter months, the cold always drives me back inside. I've heard the Carolinas are nice. My wife is originally from Kentucky. Maybe we'll head there... Would you head south?

I love being outside, working on something. What I have really got to hate is the winters. I live in a rural area, and it gets old pretty fast. I had to run by generator 13 days in November and December. Nothing like listening to the genny run, knowing if that quits, you must move fast to keep your house from freezing in sub zero temps. Not to mention having to deal with several feet of snow....

I keep thinking of leaving Michigan.

/ How do you enjoy your free time? #7  
I think you nailed El Wood. Being able to get out in the woods is why we like it here.

I have day dreamed away a few hours in our woods.:) For me, and I guess many, it has an effect that is akin to a spiritual experience. There is just something grounding and uplifting about being surrounded by nature. It keeps things in perspective.

/ How do you enjoy your free time? #8  
Agree with others that being outside, any time of the year, but spring, early summer and fall the best. Down our way late July and August can be brutally hot, but I prefer that over some of the Jan-Feb weather we had this year. It was weather from "Up North". Live on a lake so anything water related is fun, especially my wife and I just boating around the neighborhood on the sea doo. Love to have the grandkids here to play in water, fish, explore and dam up the stream created by my water fountain. Love to grow tomatoes, from seed in the greenhouse to delivery to my friends on the lake. Great to fill several bags in mid summer, load on boat and deliver. All smiles from my neighbors. I still own about 100 acres of family farm land. Love being there, getting it ready for wildlife (and grand kids). Just a feeling of pleasure to know how much my Dad loved this land, and worked his tail off on it. Truth be know, I love working, as in with my hands, in the dirt, watching things grow--whether tomatoes in the garden or sawtooth oak trees that I started from seed.

Happy, Happy, Happy!

/ How do you enjoy your free time? #9  
We try to go for a walk every evening with the hope of getting a nice picture of something. Most times we never even turn on our cameras because we're either talking too much or there just isn't anything new that we haven't already taken dozens of pictures of. But the time out looking for the next great picture is a big priority in our lives and our free time.

Then there is mowing and making the place look nice. I love to maintain my trails and open areas. It makes me happy to see them that way and to know they are safe to walk on. I have three types of poisonous snakes here and I'm terrified of snakes, so being able to see them from a distance is important to me.

And my most favorite thing is working on a project. From the planning it and going back and forth to where it will be, to getting it started and making it happen. Nothing is as satisfying or enjoyable then that. Right now I'm starting a gazebo and a zip line. Getting the ground ready, locating it exactly where it needs to be and getting all the materials is very exciting. It's not just the time outdoors, but also the time spent planning it. We talk about it on our walks, while eating, watching TV or in the hot tub. It's all consuming and all sorts of fun!!!

Eddie

/ How do you enjoy your free time?
Is it dangerous taking your dog for walks out West with all the poisonous critters? We only have one rattlesnake in Michigan and they're very rare.

I enjoy walks in the woods, but out West, you have to be real careful poking around rocks and logs!
Rattlesnakes!
Blackwidow spiders!
Brown recluse spiders!
Tarantulas! (not poisonous, but scary as h*ll...)