Pellet Stove Fuel Pellet question.........

/ Pellet Stove Fuel Pellet question......... #1  

Junkman

Tractor
2003 Kubota BX-22
I just finished cleaning the Harmon Pellet stove and was thinking of having some pellets delivered. Every time that I order pellets from the local grain store, they say that they are sending one brand and then another shows up and they claim that it is the same as what I ordered, but just a different bag. This time, I am going to specify a certain brand and if they show up with anything other than that brand, I will refuse them. My question is what are you using and how well do they work. A few years ago I was using Energex, but last two years it has been anything that they had and never got the same brand twice. I have used Wally World pellets and they were good, but I don't like hauling them. I have also had good luck with New England Pellets. Last question..... what are you paying a delivered ton for pellets and the brand... thanks. Just don't forget to clean the stove... can't believe how much it can clog the heat exchanger with soot and ashes.....

/ Pellet Stove Fuel Pellet question......... #2  
The only thing I know about pellet stoves is that my dad really liked his for a long time. Then he had trouble getting a consistant product and he got tired of hauling pellets. He had to buy at least a ton to get a decent price. Dave

/ Pellet Stove Fuel Pellet question......... #3  
I just noticed that Lowes is carry pallets. Buy them by the 40# bag or by the pallet of 50 bags.

/ Pellet Stove Fuel Pellet question......... #4  
Hi Junkman
We just put in a pellet stove in Kansas so I'm still learning. We only have used two different wood pellets so far, Pennington and Tidy Timbers. There is a difference in the ash content with Pennington having a lower content and therefore less cleanup. It sounds like you have more choices than we do. I would probably suggest running a sample of each brand and seeing the ash/cleanup differences. If the ash content is less than 0.5% and the moisture content was similar, I think I would use whichever was less expensive. Right now, the cost non-delivered is $185/ton. We are moving to corn as soon as I get storage problems solved /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Pellet Stove Fuel Pellet question......... #5  
Store the bags in the cold and load what you need. Meal bugs may hatch out and inhabit your space. A real pain.

Like storing sunflower seeds inside to feed the birds outside. The little moths just seem to like hatching and claim your home as their place.

Been there..... Live there.......