Water Filter That Can Freeze -- Iron 300X

/ Water Filter That Can Freeze -- Iron 300X #1  

DrRod

Platinum Member
Ellicott City, MD - Farm in Orbisonia PA (south ce
Tractor
John Deere 4110
Greetings,

We need a filter system for our well water -- iron, smell, bacteria, et al. The problem is that we don't leave the power on in the cabin over the winter so, even though in the basement, any system will periodically freeze. The guy from HydroCare affirms that their Iron 300X can take the cold with no problem. Does anyone out there have experience with this?

Appreciate your comments.

Rod

/ Water Filter That Can Freeze -- Iron 300X #2  
Looks like your projected system filter may be somewhat unique. I can see three approaches 1) if the filter system & warranty covers operation in freezing conditions then the first winter should determine that 2) drain down the water & filter system so there is nothing to freeze 3) put some type of heating unit in the basement, keep the power on and set unit to keep basement above freezing.
Personally, I have never seen a filter system that can withstand freezing conditions - unless the water has been drained.

/ Water Filter That Can Freeze -- Iron 300X #3  
Drain everything and dump RV antifreeze in the sink traps and toilet bowls is the safest method. The power is always out when it's needed the most; Murphy's Law of remote homes. :laughing:

It's hard to believe a filter would take a hard freeze, who knows. Even if it did, the supply lines to and from it will freeze.

/ Water Filter That Can Freeze -- Iron 300X
Actually, we drain everything so the pipes are empty and the pressure tank and hot water tank are empty. But I doubt we could get all the water out of the filter system. We have wanted to fix this problem for years but never found a filter system that could withstand freezing. Appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

/ Water Filter That Can Freeze -- Iron 300X
Oh yeah -- we put a little RV antifreeze in all of the drains and in the potty. Has worked well for years. I wonder if putting some antifreeze in the filters would work. Couldn't drink it after that but it might be fine for washing et al -- then again, maybe not.

/ Water Filter That Can Freeze -- Iron 300X #6  
The Iron 300X model looks like it has removable cartridge elements. If so, you should be able to unscrew and drain the cartridge for the winter.