Help me start a FIRE !

/ Help me start a FIRE ! #1  

Mrwurm

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower
OK, I just finished cutting up a tree into small branches and logs. I want to burn the branches. I piled them up into a heap that is about 8ft long by 8ft wide and about 5 feet tall. The pile is in a recently buldozed area that is free of grass and other combustibles.

Here's my question: Do I have to wait till the branches dry out, like a year or so, or do I just burn them as they are?

Any tips on getting the fire started? I thought about putting one of those DuraFlame logs in the bottom center of the pile to get it going.

/ Help me start a FIRE ! #2  
Jerry,
Any wood will burn. The Dryer the Better !! When it's green like your branch's are it is only going to make it harder to get the pile ignited. If you had some dry brush or wood underneath to act as kindiling, then it would be easier to ignite.
If you are expecting to have more brush to add to the pile, then wait to burn it. If not, then if you can get enough fire under the green branchs for a long enough time they will eventually catch hold and burn.
I build and burn (uasualy) 2 BIG brush piles per year.
I have what I call a brush torch to ignite them with. This torch has many names and uses. It is merely a wand of approx. 3', made of pipe with a flame knozzel (hood) on one end and a gas valve on the other. It has approx. a 6' hose attached to a 20 lb. LP barbeque tank.
Open the vavles, light the torch with a spark or a flame of some sort, I then stick it in under the pile for a few minutes and Wah-La, in moments (uually) I have an inferno.
I believe Northern Tool as well as many others sells these torch's at a reasonable cost. If your not big into burning brush piles then of course any source of fire will do the job.

/ Help me start a FIRE ! #3  
I know.... I hear it already.

I use gasoline. A few sprinkles here and there, then I douse
a 2x4x2 with charcoal lighter fluid. I step back, light the 2x4 and give it a good heave into the pile.

Works just fine, the gasoline burns hot enough to even get green wood going.

Just be darn carefull. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
-Mike Z.

/ Help me start a FIRE ! #4  
I like to let my brush piles get big enough so I got something to work with. Most times I let them get to big.
I find having a decent size pile to burn is a good reason to break out the BBQ and get some friends and family together, eat some good food, after lubricating the digestive track a little, enjoy a good cigar.
I kind of like doing it twice a year. in the spring to start off the year and one in the fall to end it. It's kind of a guy thing.

"Look what I have created. I have made Fire"

/ Help me start a FIRE ! #5  
please don't use gasoline. If you must use and accelerant use some slow ignigting fuel other than gas. I have seen the damage. Try to make a small fire with some dry wood then let it take over the pile. I burn on a regular basis and only with town/stae approval and never use fuel other than wood. My fires get started by a lighter and one days worth of local newspaper using something dry. The pile burns though sometimes green tree trimmings will make emebers it is not worth the potential for harm from using gasoline. Please remember to check your local burning regulations.

/ Help me start a FIRE ! #6  
Some diesel in a 1 gallon pump sprayer (same one I use for roundup). Works great on fence rows and stumps also.

You can use a leaf blower also to get the fire to burn to the center of the pile.

I also have one of the torches on a stick. Light that thing up at night, It is really impressive.

Tom

/ Help me start a FIRE ! #7  
when I started practice fires for fire drills, I would take old dungaree's doused in drain oil, put the jeans in the base of the fire and touch the jeans/oil off. Ususally it will get hot enough, quick enough to burn wet or fresh sapplings.

/ Help me start a FIRE ! #8  
I usually use diesel fuel....especially if the brush is green. Pour a couple gallons of fuel on the pile and use a propane torch to light the pile. Gasoline is way too dangerous...the diesel is much slower to ignite and will burn longer. Sometimes I will need to add a little more diesel fuel to the fire until it gets hot enough to burn the green brush on its own.

Kevin

/ Help me start a FIRE ! #9  
I use gas it is a little safer to put it in a pop bottle then throw it is dumping it right from the gas can is a little tricking

/ Help me start a FIRE !
Lots of fun advice so far. There's just something about a good fire, isn't there.

I don't think I'm going to use gas or diesel. It scares me a bit and don't feel confident doing it.

I believe I will go with the technique of starting a dry fire under the brush with some seasoned firewood sticks. I also have a 4 hour DuraFlame log that I can put under there as well.

Around here, I just need to leave a message with the volunteer fire hall before I burn. A burn permit is required by local ordinance, but no one seems to have the ability to issue one. Kinda hard to explain and even harder to understand.