post set in concrete, never again

/ post set in concrete, never again #21  
RJohnson,

I skimmed the article in Mother Earth News. I might try what they talked about in the article but I went and put up PT posts to see what happens. I'm curious if they will rot out sitting in concrete which is sitting in water. I only have one post in that situation so we shall see how it works out. Course it might take a few years to get an answer! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif So far I'm happy with the quality PT wood I have bought and use around the house in raised beds. They have no sign of rot at all even though they are in contact with wet soil.

I don't think burning/charring PT is safe. I think you need to be safe handling PT wood. I would not touch my little girl when I got home that day until I had washed my hands real well.

Later....
Dan McCarty

/ post set in concrete, never again #22  
I've quoted below from company that makes treated wood products like CCA.
"Dispose of treated wood by ordinary trash collection or burial. Treated wood should not be burned in open fires or in stoves, fireplaces or residential boilers because toxic chemicals may be produced as part of the smoke and ashes. Treated wood from commercial or industrial use (e.g., construction sites) may be burned only in commercial or industrial incinerators or boilers in accordance with state and Federal regulations. Avoid frequent or prolonged inhalation of sawdust from treated wood. When sawing and machining treated wood, wear a dust mask. Whenever possible, these operations should be performed outdoors to avoid indoor accumulations of airborne sawdust from treated wood. When power-sawing and machining, wear goggles to protect eyes from flying particles. After working with the wood, and before eating, drinking, and use of tobacco products, wash exposed areas thoroughly. If preservatives or sawdust accumulates on clothes, launder before reuse. Wash work clothes separately from other household clothing."

Good stuff to remember. I usually forget to wash my hands enough after handling treated lumber.

18-32934-tractorsig2.JPG

/ post set in concrete, never again #23  
There are no fumes from CCA treated wood, however the ashes (including any that becomes airborne) will be hazardous.

CCA is inorganic and somewhat water soluable. I doubt it will ever biodegrade.

Pat

/ post set in concrete, never again #24  
dmmcarthy: I agree with several other posters on the gate latches that support the gates. I have a 16" metal gate that is attached to pt wood posts. I used a latch that holds the gate up when closed. I liked it so much that I put a 4x4 with another latch inside my fence to hold the gate up when the gate is open. It's great; you can swing the gate open and the 4x4 acts as a gate stop and support at the same time. I used to hate having to walk the gate open and put a block under it to hold it open, especially when it was raining. I've had the gate up two years and it has not sagged. The latches were about $20 apiece.

DaveH