Platinum Member

Default Fuel oil tank removal

We're clearing out my parent's garage, and my dad had a large fuel oil tank (400 gallons?) that we're trying to get rid of. Any suggestions?

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

Default Re: Fuel oil tank removal

Set it by the curb with a sign that reads "FREE". It will be gone before the day is over.

Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX-22

it is less costly to get rid of the wife today than to get rid of an oil tank. If it completely empty, you can saw it in half with a saws all and then cut it up completely with a torch. I wouldn't use the torch without cutting it in half. I have heard of some people using the car exhaust piped into the tank to keep out any oxygen so any residual oil won't burn. I have also heard of people putting dry ice into the tank first also. Either way, make sure you are safe before tackling this job. I don't envy you...

Tractor
    MF 1440-4 PowerShuttle

Put it in your local classifieds. Surely someone around you needs a good fuel tank.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    TC35D/16LA

Got Oil ??? In it I mean.....

If it has some oil in it, you may be able to get a local oil delivery guy to take the tank in exchange for the extra fuel.... This only works if there is fresh oil and evidence ( like a delivery receipt of record available ).

Is the tank really a 400 gallon. Most residential tanks are 275 or 330 ( 5 ft tall, about 5 - 6 ft long, and 30" wide ) shaped like a SPAM can.

Here in N.E. we pay about $ 250 to have an empty 275 gallon tank disposed of.

The dry ice idea is a good one. The dry ice evaps to carbon dioxide and displaced oxygen. No matter what, cutting the tank in place will make a mess...the bottom will be covered with sludge and slop that will ooze and stick up the place. Try to get it out before you cut and be ready for some mess.

I've got one in my crawl space that I'd like to get removed but....... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    It must have been installed when they built the house, now way to get it through the access hole.

Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX-22

If you mix clay kitty litter with the oil, you can dispose of it in a brush fire. The clay litter will burn and so will the oil. Next time you have a fire in the fireplace, throw a hand full of clay litter into it and watch the pretty colors....... I never thought it would burn until I tried it one night after cleaning up a spill in the garage. Threw it into the wood stove and it turned to ashes.....

Tractor
    Mitsubishi D 1800

If it is one of the oval ones, half of it would make a good bed for a dump trailer.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD2210

I live in southeast Indiana and would be interested in the tank.