Fuel oil tank removal

/ Fuel oil tank removal #1  

jpr62902

Platinum Member
We're clearing out my parent's garage, and my dad had a large fuel oil tank (400 gallons?) that we're trying to get rid of. Any suggestions?

/ Fuel oil tank removal #2  
Set it by the curb with a sign that reads "FREE". It will be gone before the day is over.

/ Fuel oil tank removal #3  
it is less costly to get rid of the wife today than to get rid of an oil tank. If it completely empty, you can saw it in half with a saws all and then cut it up completely with a torch. I wouldn't use the torch without cutting it in half. I have heard of some people using the car exhaust piped into the tank to keep out any oxygen so any residual oil won't burn. I have also heard of people putting dry ice into the tank first also. Either way, make sure you are safe before tackling this job. I don't envy you...

/ Fuel oil tank removal #4  
Put it in your local classifieds. Surely someone around you needs a good fuel tank.

/ Fuel oil tank removal #5  
Got Oil ??? In it I mean.....

If it has some oil in it, you may be able to get a local oil delivery guy to take the tank in exchange for the extra fuel.... This only works if there is fresh oil and evidence ( like a delivery receipt of record available ).

Is the tank really a 400 gallon. Most residential tanks are 275 or 330 ( 5 ft tall, about 5 - 6 ft long, and 30" wide ) shaped like a SPAM can.

Here in N.E. we pay about $ 250 to have an empty 275 gallon tank disposed of.

The dry ice idea is a good one. The dry ice evaps to carbon dioxide and displaced oxygen. No matter what, cutting the tank in place will make a mess...the bottom will be covered with sludge and slop that will ooze and stick up the place. Try to get it out before you cut and be ready for some mess.

/ Fuel oil tank removal #6  
I've got one in my crawl space that I'd like to get removed but....... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
It must have been installed when they built the house, now way to get it through the access hole.

/ Fuel oil tank removal #7  
If you mix clay kitty litter with the oil, you can dispose of it in a brush fire. The clay litter will burn and so will the oil. Next time you have a fire in the fireplace, throw a hand full of clay litter into it and watch the pretty colors....... I never thought it would burn until I tried it one night after cleaning up a spill in the garage. Threw it into the wood stove and it turned to ashes.....

/ Fuel oil tank removal #8  
If it is one of the oval ones, half of it would make a good bed for a dump trailer.

/ Fuel oil tank removal #9  
I live in southeast Indiana and would be interested in the tank.