Harbor Freight Greenhouse Construction

/ Harbor Freight Greenhouse Construction #1  

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
The weather has finally improved enough to allow me to get on this project. Ultimately for the wife, but I want it to have all of the 'bells and whistles' within reason. I hope to post some video at some point but here are some pics of the construction. These first pics show the ditching work to provide plumbing and power to the site.

IMG_1336.jpg IMG_1338.jpg

A plug for the BX here... I can get into places that no bigger tractor can reach and do some major digging...

IMG_1341.jpg IMG_1346.jpg

About 80ft of trench to lay 160psi poly pipe and another trench to add 2 20amp lines

IMG_1353.jpg IMG_1340.jpg

Starting to flatten out a slightly larger than 10ft by 12ft pad for the greenhouse.

/ Harbor Freight Greenhouse Construction
Found another use for my tractor... I purchased some 4 x 6 pressure treated timbers and needed to trim a couple of them a bit to make the frame for the foundation that the greenhouse will sit on... you gotta love all the things that a little tractor can assist you with. My back loves it most!

IMG_1356.jpg IMG_1357.jpg

Also dug up an old cable run (orange conduit... weird)

IMG_1349.jpg

Now getting the power/water and the frame situated.

IMG_1350.jpg IMG_1360.jpg

4 x 6 in base frame and 3/4in crushed clean gravel fill in place and now the aluminum construction. Pretty flimsy sheet aluminum and extrusions but efficient use of metal I must admit.

IMG_1364.jpg IMG_1365.jpg IMG_1367.jpg

Corners and wall structure and feeling good...

IMG_1362.jpg IMG_1368.jpg

First floor complete and now on to the roof!

IMG_1372.jpg

Blessed with a decent weather day but of course the afternoon winds are picking up as I now have unsecured members dangling.

A little more ladder work and at this point really needed assistance from the better half...

IMG_1378.jpg IMG_1381.jpg

Frame complete and glazing panels going in...

IMG_1382.jpg IMG_1383.jpg

Day is turning to night but feeling good again about progress...

IMG_1384.jpg IMG_1388.jpg

/ Harbor Freight Greenhouse Construction #5  
Nice job! If you live in a windy place you might think of using some silicon caulk to keep the panels from blowing out.

/ Harbor Freight Greenhouse Construction #6  
He's done his research as per his previous posts. I expect to see some pics of the upcoming mods too.

Nice pics. Nice location too. I spent my years in high school on Whidbey Island.

Now you'll have to build some benches. Redwood fencing worked well for me.

And don't forget the outside.

/ Harbor Freight Greenhouse Construction #7  
Glad you made it home from China safely. Great looking project...and million dollar view! Am I right in concluding you built it in one day (not including site work)?

/ Harbor Freight Greenhouse Construction #8  
We used to have one of the 10x12 Harbor Freight Greenhouses. I had to do a few modifications to it. First was the back wall. It was facing west and caught the wind pretty good. I had to use a piece of 3/8" rebar to reinforce the back wall and hold it in place where the sections of the back wall supports were bolted together. Then came the panels. We couldn't keep them in the frame. We ordered more clips from a green house supplier. Put 3x the clips on it than it came with. They still blew out. I used silicone on them and the 3x clips. Still blew out. Finally I drilled a hole in each panel with a bolt through the aluminum frame, silicone them in place again, and 3x the clips (less what had been lost in the previous blow outs). I told Monica that we weren't losing the panels any more. If we did, we would lose the whole thing. Got a call at work one day from her, she said the green house was gone. I was like what do you mean the greenhouse is gone? We had a bunch of rain and the ground was soft and mushy. Then we had a big windstorm. It picked the entire greenhouse up and rolled it into a ball back to the neighbor's house. After spending the better part of a day collecting pieces of a greenhouse I think I got $30 for it at the recycling yard. That was the end of her greenhouse dream.

/ Harbor Freight Greenhouse Construction #9  
Nice job! If you live in a windy place you might think of using some silicon caulk to keep the panels from blowing out.
Thank you! Yes, starting my reinforcement already. Pics coming. I have already caulked the roof vent panels and plan to caulk and screw many of the rest. The problem I am having is finding some reasonably priced plastic spacers/bushings to put between the panel and the horizontal support brackets. Also finding a roofing screw that has a rubber/seal washer that is less than 1 in.