Giant Destroyer

/ Giant Destroyer
Oosik and Old Grind.........thanks for the good common sense stuff........Oosik you got me laughing about the whole situation.....Cpt Dan...........hmmmmm that is a good thing to try.......Got LOTS of that with our new HUGE tom cat.......A Maine Coon..........he is gonna get the Non-pasture chipmonks........probably about 20 acres worth........God bless.......Dennis

/ Giant Destroyer #12  
Sorry, no input to your thread. I am curious as to what breed of LGD's you have and how effective they are.

/ Giant Destroyer #13  
BTW - a neighbor down the way tried one of those propane "blaster" arrangement and tore the snot out of his newly installed underground lawn sprinkler system. He is really pleased with his efforts.:laughing::laughing:

Definitely not something I would use near anything that could be damaged. Between the pocket gophers digging it up and me blowing it up the heavily infested section of my hayfield looked like it had been tilled.

/ Giant Destroyer
Sorry, no input to your thread. I am curious as to what breed of LGD's you have and how effective they are.

Surely NOT to take the subject someplace else as I truly want thoughts about rodent removal and specifically about the GIANT DESTROYER method.

But............

We have a mix of Anatolian AKC pure breds.......and Pyrenees and Anatolian mix . 7 in all. Here in Georgia I just cannot punish a pure Pyrenees with their double coat and long fur........They just have no energy in the summer due to the heat. Also Pyr's are just about the least obedient dogs I have ever owned and if they get their feelings hurt they will definately go off someplace and pout for the rest of the day. The Anatolian mix makes for a really good dog as they are a bit more "trainable" than the straight Pyr.

But the deal is..........train them to do what. They are born with the herd, live with the herd, and defend the herd. They are NOT some kind of obedience training type of dog.......They are NOT the sharpest knife in the drawer; but golly what instincts. Super at keeping critters at bay. A good LGD will take care of perhaps 200 acres of predator control. We use 2 in a pasture as no bunch of pit bulls on a tear is gonna gang up and beat 2 where they will get to just one dog.
We have sold the puppies to all kinds of situations but NEVER sell one to someone that has just a yard or apartment. To cruel to the animal. We have a doc in Atlanta that sends his brain trauma children type patients to us for puppies as the bond that takes place is something to see...........Not protecting with being vicious but care, love, and devotion to that master.
We have had 2 momma dogs that stay with a doe giving birth..........cleans up the babies and the mom and stands over them till we get there. A momma dog will usually have around 10 healthy pups and at the minimum they sell for $250 if we are giving them away. The AKC pups go for $1000 up. NO we don't run some kind of puppy mill..........
The Anatolians are used in South Africa to go out with a herd of goats by themselves and protect them through the day from African types of predators and then bring them home at the end of the day. Again, they are not the brightest bulb in the house; but such great natural instincts that it is hard not to really depend on them to take care of the place.............
They are BIG..........They bark and carry on at strangers..........NO they do not instinctivly attack humans and I really don't know if they can be trained for attack type dogs..........Little kids are their favorite type of humans as they act pretty shyly around adults but will sneak up behind you to check you out with their sniffer.......then if you pass the test they might allow you to scratch their ears.........
Can go on and on about them............My favorites though are my Border Collies.......NOW that is a dog with personality............God bless.......Dennis

/ Giant Destroyer #15  
Thanks for describing the dogs. I think i learned something tonight. Have been curious about it.

Dan

/ Giant Destroyer #16  
Rancher/sheep herder about ten miles south supposedly has around 2500 sheep. Three winters ago, in a blinding snow storm, I'm down there looking for a geocache. My GPS unit indicated it was just off the roadside ditch - so I'm down in the ditch scuffing around, All of a sudden I hear a really LARGE WOOF. I look up and there on the other side of the fence is the largest, all white dog I've ever seen. Almost soiled myself. The dog and then a second just came to the fence and watched me. Fortunately, I very soon found/logged the cash and was on my way. I found out from my next door neighbor that this fellow is Basque and he has two Great Pyrenees that guard his sheep. You talk about a ghost story - to see two all white dogs appear out of what was the nest thing to a whiteout--------. I will never forget that experience. I thought for sure I was going to be somebodies lunch.