Stump removal

/ Stump removal #1  

Boondox

Elite Member
Tractor
Deere 4044R cab, Kubota KX-121-3S
Now that the Wife let me have that L3010 with FEL, rear blade and finish mower, my chance of getting another implement within three years is slim to none. So I have at least that long to figure out the best way of removing the stumps of trees I've sacrificed to the great god Woodstove.

I suppose I ought to just start saving now for a backhoe, but I can't help but remember how a friend handled the problem. Gunnery Sgt Talaveras, recently retired at the time, had 40 acres in Jacksonville NC, 10 of which he had cleared of pines so he had some open ground for his horses. This is not to say the land was clear, however, since there were a couple hundred stumps sticking out of the ground. Mrs Gunny would not let her husband buy a tractor, so he had to find other means of rendering forest unto meadow.

Now Gunny T had been a demolition expert, so he had some innovative thoughts when it came to moving unwanted objects. I was a volunteer on the local rescue squad at the time. One spring morning a low rumble shook the entire town. A few minutes later a huge dust cloud rose in the general direction of the Gunny's property. We jumped in the ambulance and raced out there accompanied by the local fire dept, sheriff, military police, explosive ordnance disposal, and every other person with a light of some type on his or her car.

We got there to find the Gunny sipping a beer on his front porch. Behind him was 10 acres of uprooted stumps, the holes still smoking. When asked what had happened, the Gunny put on this wide-eyed look of utter amazement and declared, "I was just sittin here pullin on a brewski when all of a sudden the whole god#@*! world blew up!"

Semper Fi
Pete

/ Stump removal #2  
/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif I like that man's attitude!

mark
markcg_sig.gif

/ Stump removal #4  
Maybe a good friend of yours has a dozer you could borrow just to pop the the stump lose.

Yep that was a great story and the ending was great. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Kinda like the old fisherman that took and uncover game warden fishing.
The towns people couldn't understand how he was catching so many fish,so one day and uncover game warden ask if he could go fishing w/the old fisherman and he said yep.
As the boat came to a stop the old fisherman reach into a box and pull out a stick of dynamite and lite the fuse than threw into the water,
KA-BOOM than the fish started to surface.
The undercover game warden was at oz and mean time the old fisherman just lite another stick of dynamite and the uncover game warden was spouting off of who he was....the old fisherman handed the game warden the lite dynamite and ask if he was going to talk or fish.

This is a true story from the book Life of a Conservation Officer.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Stump removal #5  
Thomas,

I've heard that one before. It's one of my favorites. I like the way you tell it the best. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Happy V day

/ Stump removal #6  
This is more applicable to my current situation then you'd think.

Am now in a permanent burn ban area (because of goof in neighborhoods miles away burning wet leaves on the 4 days a year we have "smog".)

Although I can't legally burn, I haven't found something that says I can't BLAST! The ultimate wood chipper!

del

/ Stump removal #7  
About a month ago or so, the Bay City Times had artciles over several days about problems in a county north of us where people were having a problem with a "blaster". Guy lives in Detroit but is building this place up here ... and he decided the easy way to remove stumps was by blasting. He used the now-infamous fuel & fertilizer mixture ... and the resulting blasts not only removed the stumps but shook houses up to 10 miles away ... cracked wiondows closer ... and damaged quite a few stone fireplaces and chimneys.
And the real problem is that nothing can be done about this guy 'cause he did get a permit and he didn't break any laws. Haven't seen anything subsequent to see whether anyone has managed to make him pay for the damages.
Glad I got no stumps to really worry about ...

pete

too bad that common sense ain't

/ Stump removal #8  
HOLY COW!! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif
Kinda sursprise that the insurance companies which pays for the damages haven't gotten after this guy in some form.
Hope nobody well has be affected by his blasting,for in most places thats a no-no...$$$ to replace.

I got some stumps and please don't tell this guy where I live. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Stump removal #9  
I haven't posted in a while been removing stumps /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif
I have a tiny stand alone backhoe so my way of removing stumps(I remove the tree and stump at the same time) is somewhat different. I clean out around the roots of the tree then cut the roots on the side i want it to fall to and on the opposite side with a sawall with a 16 inch wood cutting blade. Then I pull the TREE over with a 1 ton comealong attached from the base of a big tree to as high as I can in the tree to be removed. I use chain and cable so I can get a long way away and watch the tree fall> Its kinda odd without any motor noise or other distractions I feel its safer this way as I am unemcumbered. The tree seems to fall in slow motion. The reason to cut the roots in the direction of fall is so the stump will not spring back in its hole when you start cuttin the trunk loose. A few people have been killed by the tree flipping back up after the top is cut off. After cutting the trunk loose just above the chain I cut the rest of the roots with the saw-all and pull the stump free of the hole. then finish cutting the tree up as usual

35-19765-254av.jpg

/ Stump removal #10  
Quote from a guy on another board. "I have found very few problems in life that can't be solved with a suitable application of high explosives".