people asking to fish pond. what to do

/ people asking to fish pond. what to do #1  

displacedPA

Gold Member
Tractor
NH T2310
So in our new homeplace and out bush hogging tonight when an suv rolls down our road. (Over 1/2 mile long.) They see me so they stop and get out. They ask if they could fish I said not tonight I'm cutting the chest high grass around the lake. I said if Im around its ok. Then they asked if they caught a big one if they could keep it. You know I'm all about being nice and when I was younger I'd try and fish where I could. I see ppl all around here that have signs that say no fishing without permision. Maybe this is why.
The one kid was nice and said if I needed help he'd be willing to. Trying to butter me up I guess. What do yall think? I am planning on putting a gate up anyways maybe this would slow this down.

/ people asking to fish pond. what to do #2  
good fences = good neighbors ....

reason for the signs too ... get yourself one ( liability )

last , they drove a SUV ... says it all

leave it at that for your " if I'm around " ... the gate / sign will take care of the rest ....

/ people asking to fish pond. what to do #3  
We tried being "nice" and were over run with ponds fished out; no more, all of our property is now posted.

/ people asking to fish pond. what to do
Fences do make good neighbors. To be honest it just caught me off gaurd typically I woulda said no but I didn't wanna #@! $ the kid off only to have him break windows or something outta the house. Thanks for the input. Any gate recomendations I'm thinking standard 6x6 round post and cattle gates bolted up.

/ people asking to fish pond. what to do #5  
We developed a 53 acre wetland that joins our pasture land. We've posted signs that simply state, "leased" and that has cut down on the requests to hunt and fish.

/ people asking to fish pond. what to do #6  
Have been asked several times. I say I have a lot of family and friends....and those are the only ones I allow. Any more would over fish it.

After awhile word gets around been quite awhile since anyone asked.

/ people asking to fish pond. what to do #7  
I always have people ask me. I always tell them sorry family only. Never had a problem.

/ people asking to fish pond. what to do
Good idea with the family thing. You folks are great.

/ people asking to fish pond. what to do #9  
I let my niece along with her friends fish my pond. I went to town and my daughter was there fishing also. She said that my nieces friends hit a streak where the fish were biting and they pulled in two large coolers full of catfish, over 100lbs of fish. I stock the pond, pay for the fish and I feed them. I saw red after that, I would not have begrudged them a nice mess to cook up but but two coolers full of my raised catfish was too much. They were told never to return. I let few people fish my pond now except family.

/ people asking to fish pond. what to do #10  
I also tell people that I have had enough people take advantage of me that I now only allow family and friends to fish, and hope they understand. I tell them that i had problems with trash and overfishing and not obeying my catch and release policy, and "friend of a friend" situations when I found people I didn't know fishing without permission. I also point out that there are several federal reservoirs and state fishing lakes available nearby where they can fish.

I have put over $10,000 of hard earned money (not including the original cost of the property) into making this pond a nice place for my enjoyment, not for somebody I don't know who could be using fishing as an excuse to case my property.

End of rant.

GGB

Last edited: