Are hummingbirds running late?

/ Are hummingbirds running late? #1  

jcummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, F3680, Mule Pro Fxt
We've been here for the three summers now....and last two years we have been covered up with hummingbirds. So far this year, we definitely have some but not the numbers as in past. I commented to the wife yesterday that I recall more around the previous years by this time.

Just now got an email asking about hummers. Friend says he has a few but not the numbers, and he has a friend saying the same thing.

Are we just getting anxious for all of them to show, or are the numbers down for some reason?

/ Are hummingbirds running late? #2  
I saw 1 around here a couple of weeks ago... I don't even see that 1 anymore. The feeder is out and full waiting for them

/ Are hummingbirds running late? #3  
I've got a few around...probably about the same numbers I had last year at this time.

/ Are hummingbirds running late? #4  
Got a few here - have not seen the variety yet though.

/ Are hummingbirds running late? #5  
The numbers are more than average at our place (north Okanagan BC) this year. The first showed up April 14 and we had several by April 17. They seem to show up with in a day or two of April 15 no matter what. It was a later than usual spring and weather was cooler than normal so we thought there might not be many.

I posted these photos before but I'll post a few again:

20050611_HummingBirds_0002.jpg 20050611_HummingBirds_0004.jpg 20090715_HummingBirds_005.JPG

Hummers_20080507_0001.JPG Hummers_20080507_0003.JPG

The last two photos show three of five feeders on what I think was the busiest evening in 2008. I estimated there were 52 birds at the feeders, including multiples at the holes and those hovering to get their turn.

/ Are hummingbirds running late? #6  
Our first two showed up about two weeks ago. I think there are 4-5 now. That's fairly normal for around here.

/ Are hummingbirds running late? #7  
I've got about 7-8 here with more arriving each day. What we're missing this year is Bluebirds. Haven't seen one yet.

/ Are hummingbirds running late? #8  
We had a some a few weeks ago but they must have been stopping buy on their way north. Still have not seen the resident few that hang out all summer.

/ Are hummingbirds running late? #9  
Saw one two weeks ago. Put out the feeder. The bird sniffed around it several times then disappeared. Haven't seen one since.

/ Are hummingbirds running late? #10  
I had one show up about a month ago but I didn't have a feeder (glass broke somehow during winter storage). Finally got a new one and the one is feeding all day long. Last year there was at least 2 fighting over the one feeder but so far this year, only the one.