Air Rifle vs 22 Rim Fire Rifle?

/ Air Rifle vs 22 Rim Fire Rifle? #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
Anyone target shoot or hunt with an air rifle?

Thinking of picking one up and found the choices overwhelming.

Some have fps well over 1200... not sure if fps is more important than caliber?

My Grandfather's air rifle is breach cock... not much power unless using the more expensive 177 darts.

/ Air Rifle vs 22 Rim Fire Rifle? #2  
I have owned air rifles. Some very accurate ones. I can't see the advantage of an air rifle over a .22 cal.

/ Air Rifle vs 22 Rim Fire Rifle? #3  
there are some VERY expensive air rifles out there, made especially for competition. They are as powerful or moreso that .22's.

I've got several .22's that are very inexpensive and do the job just fine.

/ Air Rifle vs 22 Rim Fire Rifle? #4  
A .22 would have far superior killing power. With an air rifle it would be much more likely the prey would be wounded and suffer needlessly.

/ Air Rifle vs 22 Rim Fire Rifle? #5  
A .22 would have far superior killing power. With an air rifle it would be much more likely the prey would be wounded and suffer needlessly.

This all depends on what you are going to do with it. For chipmunks/squirrels an air gun would be sufficient and it's quieter if you're gonna be shooting in the back yard. Any larger pest a .22 will probably be required. If you're just shooting tin cans and such an air rifle is ideal; it's cheap, quiet and some are very accurate. I have a Gamo that shoots as well as my .22.

/ Air Rifle vs 22 Rim Fire Rifle? #6  
there are some VERY expensive air rifles out there, made especially for competition. They are as powerful or moreso that .22's.

I've got several .22's that are very inexpensive and do the job just fine.

The only advantage I can see is expense, or in this case availability of ammunition. A .22 cal air rifle can be quite effective for small game, if that is what you are after. I doubt an affordable air rifle can come any where near the ballistics of a .22 cal. viper or a CCI mini mag. I purchased a breach loading, break open .22 cal. air rifle recently, that as I recall, has a velocity of 900f/sec. I don't think that approaches the velocity of a standard .22 cal. long rifle; it will, however, bring down a squirrel in the top of a 60 ft. Pecan tree, which is all I need if the world goes to **** in a handbasket.

/ Air Rifle vs 22 Rim Fire Rifle? #8  
Seems that when a pellet is super sonic speed it still cracks when you shoot it.

/ Air Rifle vs 22 Rim Fire Rifle?
It was only a thought...

It is legal to shoot at the family property... the only problem is the ranch is the only place and as soon as a shot is heard... people start calling 911.

Sheriff has said to give a courtesy call which is fine.

Land is on the city border and most of the 911 calls go the police and the ranch is outside their jurisdiction.

We have a draw or mini box canyon where it is very safe to plink away...

About the only varmint problem is ground squirrels... they are quite destructive and more than once horses came up lame because of it.

/ Air Rifle vs 22 Rim Fire Rifle? #10  
Doesn't hurt to ask. You can go with a .22 cal CB Cap. It's subsonic.