For those retired....what do you enjoy most?

/ For those retired....what do you enjoy most? #1  

JDgreen227

Tractor
4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318
I am nearing 12 years of leisure after jumping off the treadmill, and if I had to name one factor that really stands out about retirement, it's the freedom to do what I want, when I want to. I'm taking a TBN break after devoting the past few days spent installing a pair on new Hunter ceiling fans in rooms that formerly had only a light fixture...meaning I had to install braces overhead for a fan box, and one room needed a pair of 3-way switches and wiring installed. It wasn't fun, but being free of the constraints of working Monday-Friday let me take the time to do it at MY convenience and not worry about my job dictating the time I spent on it.

What ONE factor do you retirees enjoy most about your freedom?

/ For those retired....what do you enjoy most? #2  
I agree with freedom to do what I want. Next would be the time to pursue other interests.

/ For those retired....what do you enjoy most? #3  
I guess not getting up at o god thirty to drive 55 miles to work is the big one. Then the freedom to do as I please.

/ For those retired....what do you enjoy most? #5  
The ability to plan and do a job without scheduling around work.

Of course it now takes me twice as long to do a job because I don't have to hurry up so I can go to work.

Also I can now do it right even if I have to do the entire job over. Previously it would just have to do.

/ For those retired....what do you enjoy most? #6  
A beer with my lunch, if I want one. JDgreen, how do you like your Hunter fans? Quiet?

/ For those retired....what do you enjoy most? #7  
I have been retired for six years;42 years not counting the work I did in high school.I have my own small business to keep busy and spend money on.I just don't know how I did it all when I was working.I don't miss the 102 mile daily commute or putting a ton of miles on my vehicles.
What I enjoy most is the time to hunt/fish.My business keeps me home so no away vacations.We have some of the best fishing in the North East ,I live between Black Lake and the St.Lawrence river.Deer hunting is great;my business is an Uplands Preserve so we get to do a lot of dog training and meet a lot of great people.

/ For those retired....what do you enjoy most? #8  
Not having to fly anymore, no more commuting, no more infighting, no more meetings and freedom as you mentioned JD...
Yup.
Although since 1984 my commute was only 1.2 miles when I was in town :). My job used to require me to travel to Army bases all over the world about 2 weeks a month.

One of the best is not having to "dress for success". Now it's comfortable pants, 5-toe shoes and T-shirts.

Now I face a 14hr 1 way "commute" about every 6 weeks to and from the future retirement home.

/ For those retired....what do you enjoy most? #9  
I quit the rat race at age 55 and retired at 62. I'm now 72 and the best thing is being able to do what you want, when you want and how you want. Nobody tells me Jack Sh*t and I live so as to give nobody any grief.

/ For those retired....what do you enjoy most? #10  
Don't hate me but I've always had this pleasure. I'm not retired nor will I ever technically do so but I have been self-employed practically since birth.

When I operated my business I had to deal with traffic but mostly on my terms. These days I don't even have to deal with that, outside of rare miscarriages of justice :laughing:

I know plenty of people that earn more than me but at what cost? What ever you are comfortable with, I guess.

Put me down in the "Do what I want, when I want" category. I do plenty, but it's on my terms.