Wild black cherries

/ Wild black cherries #1  

/pine

Super Star Member
Is there any real uses for the fruit? very small with large seed but quite tasty...anyone make jelly or anything?

I just found one on our property...this is the first time I have seen it bear fruit...

/ Wild black cherries #2  
Around here they are good wildlife food sources.

We are at the northern edge of black cherry's range. A good straight stem is very rare, and I've never seen one that doesn't have black knot disease here. The birds don't care about that however. :) They spread prolifically from seed, so I know the birds are eating the fruits.

/ Wild black cherries #3  
Is there any real uses for the fruit? very small with large seed but quite tasty...anyone make jelly or anything?

I just found one on our property...this is the first time I have seen it bear fruit...

The wife says they make good wild cherry jam.

/ Wild black cherries #4  
My grandmother made wine from it. However, my dad, whoose liver should be in the Smithsonian, refused to drink it...:)

/ Wild black cherries #5  
We made black cherry liquor. They were "tame" black cherries. The stuff was excellent but it had a knock out punch like Mike Tyson.

Wash the fruit, put it all in cheese cloth and into a large crock. Add one cup sugar per two pounds of fruit. Crush the fruit with a potato masher. Let mixture set for 24 hours Add one quart of Everclear for every four quarts of the fruit juice. Cover crock tightly - plastic wrap - let mixture set for another 24 hours then bottle. This will work for about any type of fruit.

Drink too much of this and you won't worry if the fruit had worms, big pits, stems or seeds.

/ Wild black cherries #6  
One thing I found out they are good for is to easily tell if your dog likes rolling around on the grass.

0B7AFF9A-198A-44E4-B9B7-C7BB48388576-7035-0000133DF2BDE348_zps941dee6f.jpg

Luckily it comes off easily in a bath.

7B3CCCA7-ADC3-4095-AFA6-80AEF76C3563-7035-0000133E1B53923D_zpsb9cfb12d.jpg

/ Wild black cherries #7  
The wilted leaves of black cherry are toxic to several grazing animals. Goats, sheep, cattle and horses that I have read of. I don't know how serious the threat is.

Prunus serotina

/ Wild black cherries #8  
the threat is extreme, the wilted leaves are toxic and cause death. My first horse was raised by hand from 3 months because his mother ate some wilted leaves. I keep them cut far away from any place the stock can get to.

/ Wild black cherries #9  
the threat is extreme, the wilted leaves are toxic and cause death. My first horse was raised by hand from 3 months because his mother ate some wilted leaves. I keep them cut far away from any place the stock can get to.

A number of years ago a neighbor of mine lost over 100 pigs after they ate wilted wild cherry leaves...they got out into his woods and a cherry tree..big one had fallen...so yes, lethal....beware !