Help with a bridge! Need some good ideas on how to get a bridge in place.

/ Help with a bridge! Need some good ideas on how to get a bridge in place. #1  

vpracer

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota M6-111
I'm about to buy a new piece of property that will have about 5 acres stranded due to a large creek crossing. The creek is about 28ft wide and about 8 or so feet deep. I've been looking at old 40' flat bed trailers, old 45' semi trailers and the 40' flat shipping rack as options for the crossing. I'll be driving 4wheelers and my 7040 tractor across the bridge and I believe all those bridge options will support the weight. I've ruled out culverts because the creek does flow pretty good if we have a big rain and I think it'll wash out or plug up the culvert.

So, my issues is this, I only have access to one side of the creek at this point. It makes getting the bridge in place very difficult. I have an old D6C dozer that I can use to drag the trailer down to the creek but the part I can't figure out is how to get the trailer to lay across the creek, given I can only be on one side. If I push the trailer out over the creek, then the end will fall down into the creek. I thought about trying to stand it up on end somehow and let it fall across the creek. Somehow I suspect there a million things that could go wrong with that idea, like how to stand up a 40' trailer on end. I thought about laying two telephone poles down, letting them fall across the creek, then sliding the trailer over on top of those so that the end of the trailer will be support as it goes across the creek. But then would the trailer have enough support for me to get a tractor to the other side and lift the trailer off the poles.

I sure would appreciate some brainstorming thoughts?

/ Help with a bridge! Need some good ideas on how to get a bridge in place. #2  
Crane!

If the water weren't so deep, two track hoes could do it, one on each end.

If you can't get a crane or track hoes in there, might have to stick-build the bridge in sections/pieces, with supports in the middle of the creek.

The only other idea crossing my mind is to float the bridge across with some sort of inflatable rig, boats, or water-tight tanks.

/ Help with a bridge! Need some good ideas on how to get a bridge in place. #3  
If you want a permanent bridge, concrete anchors with cables to two uprights near the bank would give you the abilities of a crane. The uprights would ideally be taller than the bridge deck is long. It would work like a draw bridge.

/ Help with a bridge! Need some good ideas on how to get a bridge in place. #4  
Many temporary bridges are pushed across by making a front extension that will reach across the opening before the balance point is reached, then the bridge is pushed the rest of the way across and the extension removed. You might be able to use a couple of poles fastened to the trailer.

Bridgenose.jpg

Watch these videos to see the idea in use.

Acrow bridge build animation - YouTube

Compact 200 Modular Bridge Construction - YouTube

Regak Bridge - YouTube

/ Help with a bridge! Need some good ideas on how to get a bridge in place. #5  
Do you have any decent trees on the other side? If so then how about hooking some pulleys with long cables in them. Set the pulleys so they will pull at upward angles on that end. Set the bridge down on the near side, hook the cables to the bridge then pull it across with your tractor. I would also put a cable on the side you're pulling from so you don't pull it too far.

/ Help with a bridge! Need some good ideas on how to get a bridge in place. #6  
got any high large trees near the area? use one as a stanchion that pulls and supports the free end onto the far bank, then drag it left right to point you need. OR a couple poles like a pole vault that sets in middle and stands mostly vertically as they rotate up & over taking the free end with it.

Mark

/ Help with a bridge! Need some good ideas on how to get a bridge in place. #7  
That's a good sized bridge; doing it right will cost a few dollars. ((A rough estimate here is $1000/foot... but that covers all labor and would handle a 100K truck. ;) ) Anything you put down will need solid abutments. You will need to get a piece of equipment across anyhow, to do it right... You say it's 8 feet deep, but how steep are the banks and how deep is the water? I believe that a good operator with an excavator could be what you're looking for. When the water is down he can walk through the stream, prepare the bank, and set the steel in place.
I would ask a pro to visit the site and find out what he suggests.

/ Help with a bridge! Need some good ideas on how to get a bridge in place. #8  
Old rail cars have been the way around here, they are the only bridges that the fire dept will drive a pumper truck across.

/ Help with a bridge! Need some good ideas on how to get a bridge in place. #9  
I've seen this done on a small scale. I have no idea what size/rating of chain would be necessary though for a 40' semi trailer. My sketch is obviously not to scale.
Lift.png

/ Help with a bridge! Need some good ideas on how to get a bridge in place. #10  
You have a d6 and are wanting to add a bridge. Use d6 build a low water crossing it will dig its way into and out of the creek. Now you can get what ever you need across the creek to install the bridge. But you don't need the bridge. Now unless you have high water.