Town LOST my Tax Files!

/ Town LOST my Tax Files! #1  

Coyote machine

Tractor
22 SANY SY 50U, '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 BB, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Brush Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy
Was away in Europe recently on a 15 day family holiday and when we returned the house sitter noted the tax assessors had been by. I thought that was weird since I had them at my door last Spring sometime asking questions and wanting to take measurements.
Turns out they then called me and asked me to contact them by phone, which is what I was doing when they showed up at my door AGAIN, un-announced?! They proceeded to tell me they were new at the job, they were looking to update the records, and they needed to measure my house/barn shed, etc. They also said they had found many errors in how things had been done previously.
I asked why my house, and were they doing a town wide reassessment. They said no on the assessment and eventually got around to saying they had LOST my entire file!
They still wanted measurements and asked about additions etc. I told them to stop wasting my time, next time give me time to call them back, and rather than just showing up whenever they felt like it to go back to the town hall and FIND my records.
I offered to talk further when they have my records in hand. I also offered to, if necessary, get them data from my most recent Home Equity Loan turned mortgage.
They said the people who had been doing the assessor work for the town previously suddenly left the office a while back?!

Given the situation, what would any of you do in my shoes?

TIA, and for reading this long post....

/ Town LOST my Tax Files! #2  
Keep an eye out for suspicious activity. Remind them that's a good way to get shot. Snooping around and all you don't know these folks. Did they provide ID? Did you call and verify? Anybody that just shows up like that may have other intent. Be on guard.

/ Town LOST my Tax Files!
Turns out we know the second guy of the two; he's the dad of one of my kids former teachers. I will be following up with my accountant, insurance agent, and possibly my bank to find out what they advise. I do have a friend at the town clerk's office too, so he may be able to shed some light....

/ Town LOST my Tax Files! #4  
Out here the county assessors do their "site evaluation" by computer scan of aerial photographs. If the scan shows differences between previous and current photos then they come out and do an on-site eval. I can imagine this saves a tremendous amount of on-site evaluation time. Lord knows, it sure has no bearing on the mill levy and resulting taxes. Last time the assessor was here was over 15 years ago. They full well know that out here coming uninvited, as they do, is VERY risky business. They come in vehicles clearly marked with big signs on the sides and they have photo id's.

First, I would certainly ask for identification; second, I would call the city assessors office and verify this ID; third, I would insist on an official letter from THE city assessor attesting to the fact that your files have been lost and that the named individuals are at your residence on official business. Then I would provide the assessors with copies of your records showing the last evaluation and appraised values of all your building, etc. I would then ask that prior to their departure - that you be allowed to see their current data collected, structure evaluations and expected taxes based upon the data collected and structure evaluations made. As a matter of fact, based upon your most recent visit, it would probably be good to send this, in a letter, to THE city assessor. It might motivate them to make a more diligent search for your "missing file".

This entire situation sounds very suspicious.

/ Town LOST my Tax Files! #5  
I assume you're writing about the town's Listers.

I'm appealing my assessment now (also a Vermonter, BTW). During the BCA appeal, the Lister made certain statements (under oath, mind you) as facts that were later found to be either supposition or out and out fabrications.
Personally, I wouldn't left them on the property....they can do a drive by.

/ Town LOST my Tax Files! #6  
Out here the county assessors do their "site evaluation" by computer scan of aerial photographs. ....

I got into it with my local tax people for doing just that. 50 year old run in sheds do not make garages. New technology and all that, I'd rather have a walk-in so we can set the record straight. Had one on a remodel a few years ago, they had more square footage than I had in my plans. Rather odd.

/ Town LOST my Tax Files! #7  
They actually have a paper file, instead of having it all in a database somewhere?

Around here unless you do a major reno, you never see anyone. They just tack on a % growth per year based on the average property value increases (capped at 10%) and then if someone sells the city resets the value of that house based on the price it went for.

/ Town LOST my Tax Files! #8  
Duplicate post, so here is a picture of my tractor and an an old board edger that I dragged out of a bog on my property. Because it is irrelevant, but it is better than reading my post twice...

IMG-20110508-00127Medium.jpg

/ Town LOST my Tax Files! #9  
Why the excitement? So, someone lost your records. I don't think that is something to get worked up about and look for revenge. You've never lost something? You would be willing to pay more taxes to improve the handling and security of town records?

As long as you verify that the people doing the assessment are legit, I don't see an issue. If they are legit, I seriously doubt that they don't have a legal right under state law to inspect your property for assessment purposes.

If you think the assessment is too high, you won't get anywhere with an abatement request without a detailed assessment inspection.

If property taxes rankle you, fighting with the assessor representative will not fix that. All you are doing is driving up the costs for everyone else by wasting peoples' time.

/ Town LOST my Tax Files! #10  
I got an interesting story about taxes - it won't help your case, but --- So my aunt is researching our family heritage (Norwegian) and runs into a tax assessment and associated documents dated 1641. The kings assessors are counting sheep, pigs, cows, indentured servants, indentured servant's mud huts, etc and comes up with the numbers. My grandfather, 10-12 generations removed - has a huge battle with them because many of the livestock are not his but the neighbors. They are grazing on my grandfathers land - with or without approval??? They insist that he will pay the tax on them - they are on his land, so they are obviously his. He finally says - OK, they are mine. He contacts the neighbor and tells the neighbor all the animals are his - by order of the king. The battle begins - my grandfather, the assessors and the neighbor.

Sooo - - the evil doings of tax assessors has a well documented history. I don't think my grandfather was such a fine fellow either - found what, he thought, was an easy way to increase his herds. No documents on the outcome but this is for sure - somebody paid the taxes on the animals and my grandfather & the neighbor weren't such good friends anymore - if they ever were.

Another thought - it was tax time, the animals were purposefully on my grandfathers land so the neighbor wouldn't have to pay taxes on them.