Remote home security systems?

/ Remote home security systems? #1  

jymbee

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 1652, 1949 Farmall H
We'll probably do the snowbird thing again for a few weeks this winter and escape from the northeast US to the Florida area. Does anyone have any experience/suggestions for some type of remote home monitoring system? We're pretty isolated so it's not like a neighbor would even notice anything amiss and be able to contact us.

I've seen some systems where the sensors, cameras and the like are provided by a vendor (phone company or alarm company e.g.) for an ongoing fee. Much prefer to just buy and install our own system but there's a pretty confusing number of options out there!

/ Remote home security systems? #2  
Rule #1 - Don't broadcast your plans on the internet.

There is a wealth of info on the net, many swear by the X-10 systems.

We've a home security system at 1 site for the main house that runs about $200/year that monitors for fire, smoke, motion, window/door opening (or breaking in). We also have relatives that drive by the place 4 times daily.

It doesn't have cameras and they only call the police/fire department after the fact. I've cameras set up inside.
The cousin has stopped to threaten intruders, but it was my BIL fixing his truck :)

At our other home I subscribe to the BBD12s security, that's Big Bad Dog , 12 gauge and my son.

There have been many involved threads on here, search is your helper.

/ Remote home security systems?
Rule #1 - Don't broadcast your plans on the internet.

There is a wealth of info on the net, many swear by the X-10 systems.

After a few years of constant issues, I'm giving up on X-10 myself. Yes, it worked pretty well at first so I bought some appliance & lamp modules, motion activated floods etc. but over time one or the other would just stop working. Bought some gizmo to install that was supposed to somehow bridge something or other (sorry for the non-technical description but I've long since forgotten what it was supposed to do) but that didn't help much.

X-10 is pretty simple stuff but it's just not working for me. I don't think that type of a system has much application for remote monitoring either. (?)

There have been many involved threads on here, search is your helper.

Forgot to thank you for the suggestion. Haven't seen much discussion myself but I am finding some useful info here...

/ Remote home security systems? #5  
I agree with newbury - this is a difficult subject to discuss on the internet. I would suggest, if your security may be truly challenged, discuss your situation with an independent home security agency. They, supposedly, do not promote any one system over another and can provide valuable insight. Remember, no home security system can prevent all types of situations, your personal belongings can be replaced thru your insurance - your life can not.

/ Remote home security systems? #7  
Sitting here in Destin, Fl, with my wife watching the road/entries into our place, the critters in the barn, the house sitter watching tv, and the barn where vehicles are parked..............Lorex system........Then if and when the home perimeter is penetrated when the hired hand is in bed or away, the alarms, sheriff, and we are notified while the sheriff is on the way. Meanwhile, if someone is on the road, the motion sensors go off in a sequence indicating their progress on the 1/2 mile road......

Worried about someone getting through my security from reading the internet?????...........Gotta get real there fellas...........God bless........Dennis

...Worried about someone getting through my security from reading the internet?????...........Gotta get real there fellas.

Yeah, by "security" I was thinking more in terms of perhaps pipes freezing, show/ice situation, indoor temps, bears on the rampage :) and such. Of course no one is ever immune from nefarious types but given we haven't locked doors here in 50+ years, and don't even know where they keys are if we wanted to, we're not that concerned about intruders finding us from posts here.

But the point is well taken and I would agree that it's not a good idea to broadcast travel plans on social media type sites e.g. where you have no idea who might be lurking.

/ Remote home security systems? #9  
Just FYI X10 ceased manufacturing last year. This is from the X10 website.

About Us

"About X10

The X10 and X10 Pro product lines are the original home automation source for end-users, installers, contractors and the do-it-yourself market. X10 began manufacturing home automation components in the late 1970's and has been the de facto standard since its inception. Other products have come and gone, but X10 and X10 Pro have stood the test of time. Reliability and ease of use are the primary reasons these product lines have been going strong for over 40 years.

Recently, X10 WTI (the parent company of the original x10.com) has dealt with a multitude of challenges, and the decision was made to cease operations on July 26, 2013. Since that time we at Authinx, the largest distributor of X10 home automation products in North America, were able to increase our factory orders to accommodate demand for X10 products and allow for a smoother transition after WTI痴 bankruptcy.

Authinx has been in business since 2001. We are firmly committed to supporting the X10 community of users, whether you are a loyal X10 customer or just now discovering the benefits of X10 products. As we expand our production capacity, our goal is to provide an unparalleled level of service to our customers. We are currently in the process of adding additional staff to make this happen.

In order for us to continue reaching X10 brand customers, we recently purchased the x10.com domain name. Although the site name is the same as before, we are not associated with X10 WTI.

Now, as the largest supplier of X10 home automation products in North America, Authinx will be able to continue providing home automation enthusiasts the products and support they need. Our commitment to the home automation market is our guiding principle as we continue to invest in the X10 and X10 Pro product lines. X10 is the original home automation product, and Authinx is dedicated to making it the next generation of home automation products for existing and future customers as well."

/ Remote home security systems? #10  
For remote temperature monitoring and control try a smart thermostat like this.

Honeywell Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Thermostat:Amazon:Home Improvement

You'll need an always on router to connect it to and then you can check in remotely with a smartphone.

You can also look for a sensor to detect water in the basement or other location. You can also get a drop cam.

Oh, you can get alerts for these as well.