Thompson black diamond black powder rifle.

/ Thompson black diamond black powder rifle. #1  

mainiak1

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 790
My son bought me one of these. I don't have a manual.
What else should I get for this? What kind of powder, primers,
lead.and tools. Any info i can get will be appreciated as I have never shot one.

Thanks in advance,
Mainiak1

/ Thompson black diamond black powder rifle. #3  
   / Thompson black diamond black powder rifle. #4  
I have a TC Black Diamond that I deer hunt with. Unless yours is radically different it should use the same 209 shotgun primers for ignition as mine. Do not use black powder in this gun as the sulfur is too corrosive and cleanup is a bear. I use Clean Shot, a black powder substitute with mine, Pyrodex and Hogdons Triple Seven are also good.
You will need a powder measure to measure out your individual loads and some waterproof load containers if you hunt. I have a .50 caliber rifle and I use a plastic sabot with a .45 caliber jacketed hollow point pistol round. The sabot allows you to use the .45 bullet and eliminates the need for wadding. Be careful to not double load the gun (powder-bullet-powder-bullet) or you will create a very dangerous situation.
Go to your local gun shop and talk to them. They will be able to recommend all the accessories you will need. Good luck, have fun and think safety.

/ Thompson black diamond black powder rifle. #5  
I have a black Diamond also. I think the sabots I use actually incorporate a .44 pistol bullet in their design but I could be wrong. About 15 years ago when I first started using sabots the most popular set up were the hornady set up with the green plastic. So that is what I was still using when I first lined up my black diamond. Shot prettty good using 100 grains pyrodex loose and with the pyrodex pellets. I really like the pellets by the way. The problem came when I tried to shoot 150 grains of powder. Which is the maximum they are rated for. They wouldn't group in a 5 gallon bucket at 100 yards. I kept messing around and still could'nt do any better. Getting ready to chaulk it off to the barrel when I tried the thompson center sabot. Look the same but when I shot it twice from a clean gun they were touching. After further examination I found the plastic was a tad thicker and a whole lot stiffer. Great shooting little weapon but a little loud in the woods, metal rods cased cased in a hollow plastic stock requires a little sound proofing. Also the safety is a litttle loud in the woods at close range. Cleaning take a litttle longer than my brother inlaws encore but at half the price.

Mine came with three different primer setups a no. 11, musket cap, and a shotgun primer, The shotgun primer has a spring like coil to hold the primer. You may want to check your state regs to find out the legal details in regards to hunting.

Patrick

/ Thompson black diamond black powder rifle.
Thanks for the replies I wanted some real life experiences
with this rifle. I will order the manual and practice with it .

Thanks again,
mainiak1