Theft hits home.

/ Theft hits home. #1  

Marveltone

Veteran Member
Tractor
Fordson Major Diesel, McCormick Deering W4, Ford 1510, John Deere L111
Aaarrrrgh! I've been borrowing a tractor from my uncle to finish haying (long story) while I gather parts and equipment to fix mine. He lent me his Allis Chalmers D14, which had a quick hitch attached to it. The hitch was causing issues with my haying equipment, so I removed it and set it on a pike of telephone poles on my property behind some bushes... In other words, there was absolutely no way to see it from the road. This road, BTW, goes only to a couple of gravel pits and forestry trails. Nobody lives past my hay field.

Today, I hopped on the D14 and drove up to the meadow to reattach the QH so I could return the tractor. It was gone! I could see tire tracks in the grass that seemed to indicate that someone had been there twice. They followed the same path, but one set looked like they scoped out the place, while the other set had clearly backed up to the place where the QH was.

Needless to say, I called the Sheriff, who sent a deputy within 20 min. He looked the place over, asked the appropriate questions and will file the report. Neither one of us expect to see the item again.

For reference, only five families live on Minnesota Hill, and we are pretty tight and look out for each other. There are, however, a few seasonal, or part time cabins that can occasionally bring the party crowds up to our quiet corner of the world. Other than that, just the occasional 4-wheeler s and hunters.

I went to town and bought a new QH to replace the stolen one, and I'll return the tractor, unscathed tomorrow.

I'm a little cranky.

Joe

Sent from my XT907 using TractorByNet

/ Theft hits home. #2  
Sorry to hear of your loss - that type of thing has always burned me to no end ! Borrow anything I own but do not let me catch a thief !

/ Theft hits home. #3  
We had a family member who attended a funeral out of town and while they were gone someone backed a moving van up and cleaned out the whole house. This was in a farming community where houses are too far apart to be seen from one another. Now somebody had to know about the funeral etc. and had a plan. Who knows? Personal and keepsake items were gone forever. Damnable thieves are everywhere. Gr-r-r-.

/ Theft hits home. #4  
We had a family member who attended a funeral out of town and while they were gone someone backed a moving van up and cleaned out the whole house. /...

Gr-r-r-.

I was hit too by thiefs when I went to my GF's dad's funeral. The cops said it had been happening for years, they look for announcements in papers/on-line for funeral dates and times. then look for surviving names. Look them up and get addy, & hit the place while the homeowner is grieving. They are lucky cops caught couple of the locals doing it if it had been one of the victims of their theft it might not have gone so well for them. I would have liked to get back the 500+ worth of stuff they stole but wont ever get that since of security back. Leave radios running 24/7 now and have security lights w motion detectors on all over...

m

/ Theft hits home. #5  
I had a power-line easement trimming crew come through my property this spring. The weekend after they had come through I noticed my high lift jack was gone. I thought maybe I left it outside the barn because I had used it last time I was over there. If they had taken it out of the barn they would have grabbed the two Stihl chainsaws. Well dummy me, they came back for those a week or two later. Now I think that I didn't leave it out and that was a test. One of those saws was a like new Farm Boss. I can't prove they took it but all my neighbors are thinking the same way I am. First theft I've had there in 8 years of ownership.

/ Theft hits home. #6  
What a shame the way things are going in this country . I remember when honesty meant something , a hand shake was as good as gold and that has been replaced with pages of legal documents .

/ Theft hits home. #7  
In some places it is still that way. We had to move to find it again.

/ Theft hits home. #8  
I was hit too by thiefs when I went to my GF's dad's funeral. The cops said it had been happening for years, they look for announcements in papers/on-line for funeral dates and times. then look for surviving names. Look them up and get addy, & hit the place while the homeowner is grieving. They are lucky cops caught couple of the locals doing it if it had been one of the victims of their theft it might not have gone so well for them. I would have liked to get back the 500+ worth of stuff they stole but wont ever get that since of security back. Leave radios running 24/7 now and have security lights w motion detectors on all over...

m

Be glad you don't live in Summit County, the Meth capitol of Ohio.

/ Theft hits home. #9  
There should be an open season on thieves... absolutely no use for them in our society.