Ohio Time Warner issues.

/ Ohio Time Warner issues. #1  

dave1949

Super Star Member
Tractor
Hanomag
Can someone please explain what is going on with the cable tv service?

My Mom lives in Ohio and hasn't had tv for two weeks. Something about additional boxes to restore channels that were dropped. Now she has the boxes but only one of two is working. Each box has its own remote controller???

The long waits for multiple repair visits are ridiculous.

If you can tell me what is going on there, I'd appreciate the help.
Thanks.

/ Ohio Time Warner issues. #2  
When you go to talk with them in their store they have Bullet proof glass. That should tell you something.

/ Ohio Time Warner issues.
When you go to talk with them in their store they have Bullet proof glass. That should tell you something.

Yeah. You can't really talk to anyone useful on the phone. My Mom waited 20 minutes the other day for a "person" and he hung up on her. She claims she used nice language. Repair man finally came, left with the job half done.

Sharon put some stuff on twitter and Dish TV said they would be glad to take over the account. :laughing:

/ Ohio Time Warner issues. #4  
Yeah. You can't really talk to anyone useful on the phone. My Mom waited 20 minutes the other day for a "person" and he hung up on her. She claims she used nice language. Repair man finally came, left with the job half done.

Sharon put some stuff on twitter and Dish TV said they would be glad to take over the account. :laughing:

Dave, if I could be rid of them I would. Like a bad cold.

/ Ohio Time Warner issues. #5  
Time Warner service ranges between terrible and non-existent everywhere. Comcast is even worse! Her best bet would be to dump Time Warner and get a DirecTV dish.

DirecTV would be good but I'm not sure if we can put a dish on the exterior of the condo she lives in. Her view to the southern sky from inside the patio where such things are allowed is partially blocked by the other units and a tree. It's a quad layout with adjoining garages in the center. I could certainly have them check for a signal though.

I don't care for condo living and all the rules but for an elderly remote Mom, the grass gets mowed, snow plowed, somebody else worries about the building exterior, nice location, and it has its own attached two car garage--it's kind of hard to beat for the situation.

/ Ohio Time Warner issues. #7  
Time warner converted a bunch of channels to digital only. Your mom needs a digital converter to get the channels now. I had to go through the process for my mom

Time warner converted a bunch of channels to digital only. Your mom needs a digital converter to get the channels now. I had to go through the process for my mom

Thanks very much for that info. Now I at least know what is trying to be accomplished. Mom is 88, slipping a bit, and highly technical terms like "digital" :D aren't very meaningful to her.

/ Ohio Time Warner issues. #9  
Charter Cable did the same to us. You have to rent a separate digital cable box for every TV in your house. I don't mind paying for a couple of boxes, but I have about 4 other TV's I can't even watch now. Can anybody recommend a good reasonably priced digital antenna or where I can buy digital boxes so I don't have to pay rent to the cable co. every month? :thumbdown:

Time Warner's added charge is $1.50/tv box/month. Each box has its own remote control too. So Mom asks how does she set the sleep timer on her bedroom tv with the new remote? :rolleyes: Okay, it's sort of logical but ...

Six years ago when she moved to the condo, we set her up with the voip phone, internet access and tv package. It seems like a technical kluge to put digital converter boxes on each tv when the signal is coming through a cable modem. The whole thing stinks.