Put $500 scrape in truck. Pay it or file claim?

/ Put $500 scrape in truck. Pay it or file claim? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I scraped a post and did $500 worth of damage to my truck door. I'm retired, have $250 deductible, no prior accidents and have all my insurance with that one agent and company. The agent says I should just pay the $500 and not file a claim.

Does that sound right and what would you do...pay or file?

/ Put $500 scrape in truck. Pay it or file claim? #2  
You usually purchase insurance to pay clams that would cause a financial hardship if you had to pay. Me, I'd pay the $500, and not file a claim

/ Put $500 scrape in truck. Pay it or file claim? #3  
Me too. Not worth the chance of the rated going up.

/ Put $500 scrape in truck. Pay it or file claim? #4  
I'd pay and have it fixed out of pocket.

/ Put $500 scrape in truck. Pay it or file claim? #5  
Unfortunately, I think that is the best for you. It only takes a small rate increase to wipe-out the $250 you would save by filing a claim.

MoKelly

/ Put $500 scrape in truck. Pay it or file claim? #6  
If you file, it gives the company an easy excuse to raise your rates. Just pay it.

/ Put $500 scrape in truck. Pay it or file claim? #7  
That is the new Insurance company scam....You buy insurance and then don't dare file a claim...It's true...they will raise your rates or cancel you....We all might just as well raise our deductibles to the highest amount we could afford to pay or not be able to pay....and save money that way....I hate insurance companies...then when you do have a large claim...they do all they can do to get out of paying....My 2 cents.

/ Put $500 scrape in truck. Pay it or file claim? #8  
Agree with all the rest. Pay the $500 so you don't risk a rate increase.

/ Put $500 scrape in truck. Pay it or file claim? #9  
If you file, it gives the company an easy excuse to raise your rates. Just pay it.

Exactly, you will pay for it either way. Just pony the money up front and fix it so your premiums stay low. Save that insurance for when you really need it.

/ Put $500 scrape in truck. Pay it or file claim? #10  
pay it yourself, raise your deductible to the most you can handle out of pocket. It matters not to the insurance company that your premium is more then the claim. If you file small claims they get you for frequency of claim and will put you in a high risk category. Changing companies will not help because once you are placed in a high risk group they all share the info.