Oil Stain on Concrete

/ Oil Stain on Concrete #1  

sandybeach

Bronze Member
Tractor
Branson 3510H
Used diesel motor oil is just like car engine oil - except that it's not. With all the soot in the used oil, it leaves a nasty stain.

How do I get that nasty stain off the concrete pad (rough surface)?

Last edited:
   / Oil Stain on Concrete #2  
I put kerosene on it, then sawdust, and sweep it around to soak it all up.

/ Oil Stain on Concrete #3  
I tried this the other day and it worked quite well, gun cleaner, outters crud cutter to be specific, the aerosol kind.

/ Oil Stain on Concrete #4  
Brake parts cleaner also does wonders on garage floor stains. Spray, let set for a few seconds, then wipe. Repeat with clean area of rag.

/ Oil Stain on Concrete #5  
My experience is that a fresh spill can be removed like the above commenters, especially on a smooth finished garage floor. But stuff like hydraulic jack oil, old motor oil etc that sits a long time is probably going to be there forever. This is especially true on rough cement finishes. I can remove most rust, grease, paint, oil etc. with my pressure washer at 2500 psi and a turbo nozzle. But even there, long standing oil stain won't come out, for me anyway. I don't try using chemicals with the pressure washer as a rule. Sometimes they cause bleaching etc. So I just stay with plain water pressure washing.
Cheers,
Mike

/ Oil Stain on Concrete #6  
Kerosene, let sit for a bit, then cat liter (the old cheap clay kind). Then grind it in and smash the granules and keep sweeping the dust back and forth over the stain.. When it dries out and quits picking up, Sweep up the cat litter, and treat the stain again if needed.. It will eventually come up.. Gasoline works too, but is a little more dangerous.. I have had this work well on coarse concrete driveways.