My Working Gloves Suck !

/ My Working Gloves Suck ! #1  

Haoleguy

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5325; Landini Mistral 50
For the past several years I have been going through cowhide, deerskin, & other animal skin gloves for all kinds of land work on the farm. I probably have 4 sets of gloves in my truck with all sorts of holes. At the moment pounding in metal fence posts is ripping up my gloves by unraveling the thread on the extra palm piece.....useless. I've been through Ace Hardware, Lamont, Tractor Supply, and other store brands thus far. I just ordered a different pair of Lamonts online that I have not seen locally in stores. My question is what do you use for fence and stone work that lasts? In an archived thread I came across Geier 448 elk gloves as lasting. Anybody use these? Any input is welcome. My frustration is that at ~$15-19 a pop it adds up significantly over the year let alone the instant lack of hand protection......Thank you, Gary

/ My Working Gloves Suck ! #2  
I have the same problem. I stumbled on some buckskin gloves at Lowes that were by far more durable than others. I had been burning through a pair every 2-3 weeks and the buckskin gloves lasted 7-8 months. But I can't seem to find them anymore. If i do, I will know to stock up.

/ My Working Gloves Suck ! #3  
I've been buying packs of five for $8 at Harbor freight. No better or worse than the expensive ones, and much easier to toss when worn out.

Bruce

/ My Working Gloves Suck ! #4  
There is a reason masons use a new pair of cotton brown jersey gloves each day. Abrasives eat a leather glove up almost as fast as cotton jersey.

Use the cotton expendable gloves in abrasive work, leather when a better grip is needed.

/ My Working Gloves Suck ! #7  
I'm not a good consistent glove guy but getting better since I started this house build in 2005. I get the multi packs at Costco, 3 pair of Wells Lamont leather for maybe $12???? Not sure as I maybe buy a pack or two and put away top of my tool chest, then grab as needed. I seem to wear out the fingers most of all. Probably from putting in screws. Mine also managed to get wet, either water, diesel, hydro fluid, whatever, so better than cotton but probably why the stitching rots. There was a significant amount of metal work in building this house and I was insistent that any worker even touching the metal wear the gloves. Saved many a nasty metal cut. While I hate to see a pair become less than useful, I'm thankful that my fingers and hands are in better shape. Of course, they don't offer much protection again impact like my hammer LOL

David Sent from my iPad Air using TractorByNet

/ My Working Gloves Suck ! #8  
I just stock up on the HF mechanix gloves when they are on sale for $3.69 a pair. The fake leather wears as well or better than the real stuff. They aren't too good for hot metal but general duty they work fine and about 1/5th the price of a good leather glove. They fit well with Velcro fasteners at the wrist so the cuffs wont hang on anything. I use them for picking up rock, pulling grass from flower beds, driving tractors etc. I have at least one pair in each tractor and in the RTV.

/ My Working Gloves Suck ! #9  
You can buy Kevlar work gloves. We have them at work. They wear forever. Still the employees at work prefer leather over Kevlar. They have a choice.

/ My Working Gloves Suck ! #10  
for sharp stuff like that i use those woven poly fabric cloves that appear to have a texturized rubber coating. they have no seems to ravel.. and the rubber coating resists abrasion and slicing from sheet metal, brick.. etc. I use those when cutting pipe on my chop saw where the flashing is razor sharp.

For the past several years I have been going through cowhide, deerskin, & other animal skin gloves for all kinds of land work on the farm. I probably have 4 sets of gloves in my truck with all sorts of holes. At the moment pounding in metal fence posts is ripping up my gloves by unraveling the thread on the extra palm piece.....useless. I've been through Ace Hardware, Lamont, Tractor Supply, and other store brands thus far. I just ordered a different pair of Lamonts online that I have not seen locally in stores. My question is what do you use for fence and stone work that lasts? In an archived thread I came across Geier 448 elk gloves as lasting. Anybody use these? Any input is welcome. My frustration is that at ~$15-19 a pop it adds up significantly over the year let alone the instant lack of hand protection......Thank you, Gary