Getting ready for deer season.

/ Getting ready for deer season. #1  

adirondackmtnman

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5045D
Been out in the woods setting up my tree stand for the past couple of days and cutting shooting lanes for the bow. Ran into an issue with my new 2 man stand. It had tree teeth behind the seat, but none on the platform, resulting in a wobbly mess even when tightened as far as possible. My solution? A bracket made from 1/4" steel with teeth for the tree. Makes a rock-solid platform now:

ForumRunner_20140825_200247.png

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140825_200332.png
    ForumRunner_20140825_200332.png
    771.7 KB · Views: 112
  • ForumRunner_20140825_200417.png
    ForumRunner_20140825_200417.png
    849.8 KB · Views: 100
  • ForumRunner_20140825_200458.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140825_200458.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
   / Getting ready for deer season. #2  
Good plan. It's hard to believe that deer season is almost here again... I used to look forward to it the way most kids anticipate Christmas.

/ Getting ready for deer season. #3  
I like your thinking, getting ready for deer season here in Mo also. When does yours start?

/ Getting ready for deer season. #4  
Good Idea. I have had the same problem but usually just try t make the best of it with with another ratchet strap. I used to get really excited about opening day of bow season and started getting ready in Aug. Now with a busy on it seems like I am always rushing to get things ready by opening day, which is October 1st in MI. I did get a new bow this year so I am looking forward to getting out in the woods.

/ Getting ready for deer season. #5  
In Pennsylvania and Ohio opening day was pretty much a school holiday. The schools would take an excuse that the kid had buck fever, and most teachers pretty planned on so many absentees that they would do films or other non-teaching stuff for the day.

/ Getting ready for deer season. #6  
Shot the muzzleloader tonight. Heading to KS in less than 3 weeks for a hunt. Already antelope archery seson here in Nebraska. Favorite time of year coming up. Weather is alredy changing.

/ Getting ready for deer season.
I like your thinking, getting ready for deer season here in Mo also. When does yours start?

Early bow starts Sept. 27th here, Oct. 1st for regular bow, then two weeks later muzzleloader, followed a week later by rifle. Just bought a new PSE bow this spring...absolutely cannot wait.

ForumRunner_20140826_060800.png

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ Getting ready for deer season. #8  
Good fix to that stand.

I have several metal ladder stands, some with teeth on the platform and some without. I like the ones with teeth better, but did have a problem with one trying to fit it to the tree I chose...the tree had a hump right where the bottom teeth fit, so then the top teeth would not fit tight against the trunk. It was then that I guessed the reason why some have only top teeth. I still prefer teeth on both.

I'm heading into the woods in a few minutes with my pole saw. Opening bow is October 4 (Virginia likes to open on Saturdays). This is the first year that Sunday hunting is legal in Virginia.

/ Getting ready for deer season. #9  
I never thought I'd see the day Virgina would allow Sunday hunting. Thanks to those that finally were able to get the annual Sunday hunting bill out of Lee Ware's "death chamber" in the House and bypass that twit! Am very much looking forward to deer season in Virginia...just a month away now!

/ Getting ready for deer season. #10  
I have been getting ready for the NY opener also.Purchased a new Bear Method this spring and have been shooting most of the summer.This will be the last year of the early bow (Sept.27-30)thanks to the change by the DEC to Sept.1 license year.
Sent one of my Leupold scopes back for repair so need to reinstall and sight in on that rifle.
We play around with game cameras and have many deer on camera and at least 11 different bucks.
The cameras make it easy to pass on the small bucks when you know bigger are around.