Security Camera

/ Security Camera #1  

sherpa

Platinum Member
Tractor
2004 NH TC33D & 2014 NH Boomer 24
I been thinking about a security camera for my rural place a while now. The cameras seem to be priced right and more affordable now. I just do not have the expertise to research them and know what I want. Does anyone have a security camera that works well for them? I would like to hear about them and what you like about your camera. Which camera are best and which ones do I need to avoid.
Thanks,
Sherpa

/ Security Camera #2  
Budget and what you have for communications plays a big part here. Do you have a landline? Broadband? Wifi? Satellite?

Do you want multiple cameras, do you want a clean install, do you want remote viewing?

I just need a front door monitor and I have wifi, so I just plug a wifi IP cam into an outlet and can view from anywhere... as long as I have power and the internet is up. But no alarm functions or anything.

Mine's a WANSVIEW - same as FOSCAM and dozens of others using the same mfg. Mine's also old but works fine.

/ Security Camera
No WiFi or any kind of internet. I suppose a game camera would work best for me. My garage is about 300 feet away from the main house. I really need something that works when I am away from home as we travel a lot.
Sherpa

/ Security Camera #4  
The big thing to research is the lens used on whatever you buy. Make sure it will see the distances you want to see without the use of digital zoom (digital zoom is a joke). Many folk will get a small cheap camera, mount it 20' up on the side of a building and want to see a sidewalk or path 30' away, then complain about a poor camera; when in reality the small cheap cameras are meant to be used at a range of about 15' or 20' (with an ideal range of 6'). They aren't much different from cameras that are meant to see 50' to 75', the main difference is the optics used in the lens. The price increases of better lenses and high end lens controls gets rather dramatic.

Second thing to research is the final resolution. Making sure you have the proper optics to frame and focus at the range you want to see is primary, but having a good final resolution is also key to identifying a badguy, or just having a general description such as the color of clothes the badguy had on. Old analog systems started out at 480x240 and go up to about 800x600. Digital systems start at about 640x480, and they go up to full HD resolution of 1920x1080. It won't be long before digitals start showing up in the 4k HD range (4096x2160). Higher is better, and slightly more expensive. The key thing that increases expense on higher resolution cameras is video storage. If you have a camera that captures thirty 1920x1080 images every second, it requires a vast amount of storage to record and have much recording time. A couple HD IP cameras can eat a large hard drive up in a day or two... Recording only when motion is detected is a good way to not waste space.

Researching these two items should narrow down the field of available units significantly. I personally like Vivotek brand cameras. They aren't the cheapest nor the most widely available, but they have a powerful software package included and have a great selection of features and models to choose from. They can record to internal storage (similar to a game cam), network storage, or a dedicated computer system. There are many ways of connecting them also, many times there are existing cables that can be used, even power wires. Setup also has a bit higher learning curve than most folk prefer, it helps greatly to fully understand IP networking. I can post some sample shots from some of the Vivotek installations I've performed if you are interested in their lineup.
:disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with Vivotek other than the fact I have shopped around to find what would serve my clients best, and they were what I came up with.

/ Security Camera
Sysop,
Thanks for the great information and input. This will certaintly get me started.
sherpa

/ Security Camera #6  
Several questions:
What are you trying to protect?
How many areas need surveillance?
Do you need to be able for an alarm to be triggered?
Do you have power handy for each camera?
Is there a clear line of sight for wireless transmission?
Are the cameras going to be secure from thievery or vandalism?

And many more>>>>>>>>>
I ask all of this as we have 8 cameras in our Lorex store bought from them system. We can monitor what is going on from a smart phone, internet, or just a tv monitor. They are all wireless and some are solar powered as there is not power at those locations. Range is 900' on one but most are in the 200' or 100' range. The biggest thing is....you get what you pay for.
Recently we were 800 miles away and watched our hired hand and how he took care of our stock and place, were notified with a signal every time someone came in the electric gate, and just had peace of mind that all was OK.
We combine our security cameras with wireless monitor/alarms posted at gates and on the entries to the property....paths and roads....use livestock guard dogs in the pastures that alert on most anything and let us know and then the border collies and retired mamma guard dog take care of around the house........
You are only as safe as your preparations.........God bless..........Dennis

/ Security Camera
What are you trying to protect? House and Garage, about 300-400 feet apart

How many areas need surveillance? I would say front and back of each structure (4 areas)

Do you need to be able for an alarm to be triggered? I have not decided about alarms, no one is there to hear them.

Do you have power handy for each camera? Yes, I can have power

Is there a clear line of sight for wireless transmission? Yes

Are the cameras going to be secure from thievery or vandalism? No

/ Security Camera #9  
There are game cameras that transmit to your computer or smart phone.The prices on these are coming down.A monthly cell connection is required.Spypoint,Bushnel and several others offer these.

/ Security Camera #10  
The 300-400 feet is going to be a problem. I just purchased a $500 PTZ camera with 30X zoom for a customer. It will do 300' OK, but that's about the limit.