New Dog - OMG - More fun than I wanted

/ New Dog - OMG - More fun than I wanted #1  

crash325

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland TC-45
Since my big girl ( 140 / 150 pounds ) passed away a few months ago. I decided it was time for a new big dog.
Well the biggest dog in jail / pound was 76.4 LBS, still young & may grow a little more.
He is strong & pulls on the leash so hard it hurts your hands & wrist.
First problem, he did not want to get in the truck. After a while I got the young man at the shelter to stuff him in.
Once the engine was started & truck started moving he settled right down. Over 75 miles home & he did fine, just laid there & licked my hand once in a while. When we got home he was very content to stay in the truck.
Girls ( Mother & daughter - Bobby & Brat ) greeted him & every thing was fine. When he came out, freedom was overwhelming to him. He ran in every direction exploring most everything & playing with the girls.

Did I mention that he had just be 'Fixed" and is wearing a cone. Now that is some what of a problem, as it kept smacking the girls. Didn't take them too long to get tired of that. So now they are not to happy with him. Damm another 10 days of it, & I'm tired of it too, as he runs by it hits me in the legs.

pound though he was a Rottweiler / hound mix, but he was picked up as a stray & it's all just a guess. Has a rottweiler face & hound like ears, just a little shorter.

He is smart & learns quick (If he wants to). Named him "Little Boy", in about an hour or less he knew his name. Sort of understands "No" if spoken very forceful.
Almost has Move figured out, just takes a little push to get him started. He is quite loving & wants to put his head in my lap, don't work out too well with the cone.

Sort of think owners loved him as a puppy & when he got big threw him out. Spoiled & no training.

Any & All advice is welcome. THANK YOU

/ New Dog - OMG - More fun than I wanted #2  
Good luck! My current dog was a "rescue"... a Lab who had spent the first year of hislife on a chain. He's a greatdog... way too eager to please and he only makes a mistake once before he figures out what I want. Yet because of his previous life he will never be able to retrieve a bird intact... because of being underfed and never getting exercise in his development stage I already need to consider his stamina when planning my day.

I don't mean to complain; he's a great dog; still it's a crap shoot when you take in a stray.

/ New Dog - OMG - More fun than I wanted #3  
Congrats on the new dog. Good for you taking in a rescue. Give it time. All will be well.

/ New Dog - OMG - More fun than I wanted #4  
got to love those Dogs,we had a chocolate lab from the pound was a great Dog.

/ New Dog - OMG - More fun than I wanted #5  
I prefer crate training for all my dogs, that way they do not get into trouble when you are not home. Lots of exercise and although I do not want to admit it , my wife was right, obedience school made a difference in this one. We have a Rottweiler.

On the same note we just got a kitty from the farm up the road that is about 8 weeks. Our rottie will carry her around in his mouth and they love each other.

/ New Dog - OMG - More fun than I wanted #6  
So, that is one large dog. Thanks for taking him in. All my dogs except two were some form of rescue. All wonderful pets...in their own way. So for a large dog you may need some ideas on training, although you will be the one he will want to please. I would take a look at Cesar Milan, The Dog Whisper, on-line or his books. You may also still find his TV series. I'm sure there are also other competent trainers writing on the subject, but he is very helpful. My daughter and son-in-law rescued a Pit who was used as a breeder at a dog fighting "kennel". She was paranoid, leery, cautious, and could get defensively aggressive. His methods helped them immensely. Good Luck!!

/ New Dog - OMG - More fun than I wanted #7  
He's lucky you have him. He will need a few days/ weeks to find his place in your family. Hang in there, just give him some boundaries and work with him. He aims to please.

/ New Dog - OMG - More fun than I wanted #8  
You know how we are... Pictures... or it didn't happen. :)
I am still sorting out dog training, not sure if I am training the dog or the other way around. I find the key is CONSISTENCY with the dog, for EVERYBODY in the family.

/ New Dog - OMG - More fun than I wanted
You know how we are... Pictures... or it didn't happen. :)
I am still sorting out dog training, not sure if I am training the dog or the other way around. I find the key is CONSISTENCY with the dog, for EVERYBODY in the family.

I will post pictures when he gets his cone off. Hard to see much right now.

As I was reading the posts he figured out that he was strong enough to push the door open. Not latched & blocked open to let the swamp box breath easier.
He has now "learned "OUT", well if spoken firmly & backed up with movement. Him & his cone would destroy the house in less than an hour. :laughing:

/ New Dog - OMG - More fun than I wanted #10  
How old is he? Give him a little time to settle once the cone comes off. Remember everything is new and uncertain for him. Set your boundaries with him and be consistent. Consistency should be the same with whomever in your family is handling him. Keep the commands simple and uniform. With most any dog, as long as he understands what your asking him to do and you put the time in to reinforce it, he'll do fine. Basic obedience is an essential foundation for a happy owner/dog relationship. Start off with the basics and once they're established go from there. Remember, as far as feeding stay consistent with that as well. I've always fed in set measurements twice a day depending on the dogs needs so as to keep them at a healthy weight. Enjoy and any further advice will require pics :D