Raised bed veggie garden

/ Raised bed veggie garden #1  

NS Gearhead

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere X350
First attempt at gardening. There's no dirt around here, so the plan is to truck in 80% compost. Lattice on the back, landscape fabric lining the bottom. 16X4X1.5' 3' away from the house. East of the house, so gets sun until noon.

Kind of the ugly side of the house... the parking lot. LOL The other edge of the parking lot could potentially be another spot, as well as where the driveway meets the lawn... so I could have my parking lot lined with planters on three sides. :)

/ Raised bed veggie garden #2  
Any plans for deer fencing? Looks like the walls will keep out ground hogs etc.

/ Raised bed veggie garden
Any plans for deer fencing? Looks like the walls will keep out ground hogs etc.

Yeah, I may put a couple more 2x4s up so I can drape some net... or clear plastic during frost time. Freaking deer!!! Just had 4-5 of my maples stripped of their leaves. I've resorted to peeing around them. Dunno if that'll work. Tomorrow I plan to borrow my buddy's crossbow... Can't say anymore about that...

My neighbors have had trouble with slugs in their garden... but their's is shaded... so I don't think I'll have the same problem.

/ Raised bed veggie garden #5  
we have been using raised boxes for a few years with good results. we use a mix
of compost, peat moss, and vermiculite based on a book called "square foot gardening"
if you do some research on that garden method you will be amazed at how much you can
grow in a few boxes like you have.
plant taller items at the back of the box so they don't block the light from shorter plants,
use lattice for climbing produce, beans, squash, cukes etc. we use much shallower boxes
except for the carrots, so you will need a lot of soil for your boxes.
good luck with it! it's fun, easy to week, and can be very productive.

Working on the list of what we'd like to plant, but so far we have; cherry tomatoes, romaine lettuce, garlic, onions, yellow beans, broccoli, and carrots.

At some point I'd love to have a berry orchard... strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries. I think the blackberries would do ok in our crappy rock/ moss terrain. They do grow wild around here. The rest would probably want something more. Maybe raised bed, or maybe at the edge of the lawn... anyway, one step at a time. We'll see how my first year's harvest does. :)

we have been using raised boxes for a few years with good results. we use a mix
of compost, peat moss, and vermiculite based on a book called "square foot gardening"
if you do some research on that garden method you will be amazed at how much you can
grow in a few boxes like you have.
plant taller items at the back of the box so they don't block the light from shorter plants,
use lattice for climbing produce, beans, squash, cukes etc. we use much shallower boxes
except for the carrots, so you will need a lot of soil for your boxes.
good luck with it! it's fun, easy to week, and can be very productive.

Sounds good. I'll check that out!

You know my old man had a garden my entire childhood... prob 30' wide, 100' long. Cucumbers were always his favorite and were only 2nd in volume to potatoes... but I never knew they wanted to climb! Just learned that last week when my neighbor showed me. Dad's garden never had anything for them to climb... they'd just spread. Always something new to learn! LOL

/ Raised bed veggie garden #10  

I don't think yiou are going to have too many slug issues with that much gravel for them to cross and the side boardds that high. If you do get some they will be coming from the side closer to the grass, so you can put some coffee gounds along that side to discourage them.