"bald" eagle

/ "bald" eagle #1  

heehaw

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M4900, B7510 and RTV
\"bald\" eagle

we had a very large eagle in a tree about 300ft from the house yesterday. it had a white head, and then when it finally flew off, the tail had white on it too. i "assume" it was an eagle??? i have seen several eagles around lakes in the state over the years, but this is the first to see any where near home. the neighbor captured it on video, a very impressive bird.
heehaw

/ "bald" eagle #2  
Re: \"bald\" eagle

HeeHaw,
Cool sighting. Eagles are very impressive - I guess yhat is why they made it our national symbol!

Some birders keep 2 types of life lists:
1) All the birds they see on various and sundry bird watching trips.
2) A backyard list of sightings in your own surroundings.

I bet not many people get a bald eagle on their backyard list.

Phil

/ "bald" eagle #3  

We have a Eagles nest on the way into our property. They have used the same nest the last few years. Here they nest in giant Red Pines as they are the tallest and some of the strongest trees. The Eagles nest can weigh well over 1 ton and be up to 10' in diameter /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Dave

/ "bald" eagle #4  

There are 2 eagle nests at the back of our property, and I've seen the birds on several occasions while back there and while they were flying overhead.
Dead deer hit by car about 1/2 mile down the road last fall...got to witness 2 eagles ripping meat out of the carcass. They sure are big up close!

We also have a place on a river. Have seen them swoop down and grab fish right out of the water and fly away with the fish. What a sight...just like on TV!

/ "bald" eagle #5  

At the bottom of Lake Pepin in Minnesota where the ice opens up in the winter from the current of the Mississippi you will see up to 50 eagles at one time. They will slow traffice down and people will pull over to take pictures. It is a great sight though to see so many. Then in the summer they are pretty much gone except for a few that nest in the area.

murph

/ "bald" eagle #6  

When I lived in MD we were near Susquhanna River . Just before it dumped into the headwaters of the Chesapeake Bay the mighty river was dammed for hydro-eclectric generation.

In the winter we saw up to 30 of them perched on the electric wire towers and trees below the dam. They were there for the easy pickings. Often fish would get sucked through the turbines and emerge below the dam either stunned, injured or outright dead.

A lone eagle would rise off of the tower and swoop down to snag the fish in its' claws. Seeing the success of the original eagle the other perching eagles would take off and try to steal the fish form the original eagle.

Looked like a bunch of gulls fighting over a french fry. Most unbecoming behavior for such a regal looking bird.

Alas we took all that for granted. I haven't seen a single Bald since moving to NH.

Phil

/ "bald" eagle #7  

That's why Benjamin Franklin wanted the turkey, a worthy bird, indeed. The bald eagle is a scavenger.

/ "bald" eagle #8  

If only the wild turkey had the status of the bald eagle, then having a few dozen of them on my property at any given time would seem a lot more impressive!!