Rural Yard Sales, Scored a 15 KW Onan PTO genset.

/ Rural Yard Sales, Scored a 15 KW Onan PTO genset. #1  

Pete Judd

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 186d, JD 314
My youngest son lives in a rural area about 150 miles north of us and a week ago, called me to ask if I was wanted a PTO gen set, I asked how big, and what brand, he said Onan, and I asked how much he said 80 bucks. I told him to pick it up, and now it's in the back of the truck. Will be building the 3 pt mount for it in the am. Some times I think that I taught that kid right.

/ Rural Yard Sales, Scored a 15 KW Onan PTO genset. #2  
Heck of a deal!

/ Rural Yard Sales, Scored a 15 KW Onan PTO genset. #3  
My youngest son lives in a rural area about 150 miles north of us and a week ago, called me to ask if I was wanted a PTO gen set, I asked how big, and what brand, he said Onan, and I asked how much he said 80 bucks. I told him to pick it up, and now it's in the back of the truck. Will be building the 3 pt mount for it in the am. Some times I think that I taught that kid right.

Hi PJ,

I am so hating on you roght now :)

JK, I hope it is just what you needed and kicks a**.

I do think you brought that boy up right!!

Congrats, may you never need to use it, but always have it ready anyway!
Thomas

/ Rural Yard Sales, Scored a 15 KW Onan PTO genset.
Phy, I know I will need it, we were with out power and flooded in for 9 days a couple of years ago. This genset will handle most of the house and the well. Already ordered a new frequency meter to replace the Vt meter that is on the unit. 10 bucks coming from China.

/ Rural Yard Sales, Scored a 15 KW Onan PTO genset. #5  
15 kw will handle "most of the house?" What do you do, run a TV broadcast station? That's 60 amps at 240 volts.

/ Rural Yard Sales, Scored a 15 KW Onan PTO genset. #6  
15 kw will handle "most of the house?" What do you do, run a TV broadcast station? That's 60 amps at 240 volts.

Heck, my 12KW may not be enough enough to weld with according to Lincoln. Sometimes you need to use your tools AND keep your beer cold.

Good score Pete. Just one question on your son's training - Why did he have to ask? That's like finding a running fully functional Yanmar 186D w/ FEL for $150, would he ask or slam the money down?

/ Rural Yard Sales, Scored a 15 KW Onan PTO genset. #7  
15KW is not much power for an all electric house. I had a Generac sales person do a mark up on my house and the power required to run everything. Even a 20KW wouldn't run my HVAC unit (heating coils) and I would have to have a 25 KVA rated genset to have seamless power. I wasn't ready to spend that kind of money for installation and more importantly fueling it, IIRC it would have cost me almost $200 per day to run it full time at 50% load. So I ended up getting a portable unit (8500 watts) to just run the basics and added a propane catalytic heater for heat. We will just sweat it out if in the summer. With that unit, we can run the range, one or two burners at a time, most all of the lights as they are LED, TV and with some power management we can have hot water.

/ Rural Yard Sales, Scored a 15 KW Onan PTO genset. #8  
Yard Sales, love them!
Have a 1500 watt that I paid $50. for, it had the warrantee papers and bill of sale in the box. Owner said it was too noisy!
This is a 'chicon 2 stroke' unit. Runs great!

Another oldie, 3000 watt McCullaha for $20 but it had tune up/repair tag attached showing recent parts and service performed.
He said: your offer is my price, he also loaded it for me!
(If nothing else the motor might serve elsewhere as it has a 3/4" straight shaft.)

/ Rural Yard Sales, Scored a 15 KW Onan PTO genset. #9  
maybe a stupid question: does it matter if it works (or can be fixed)? This thing could be shot to pieces (internally), right?

/ Rural Yard Sales, Scored a 15 KW Onan PTO genset.
Spins freely, no slop in the gearbox that I can feel. PO told my son it worked, and sold the tractor, and moving off the farm. Even if I have to sell it for scrap copper, I won't be out much. All parts are available, and found a troubleshooting and rebuilding manual, I think that I will be good to go.