Need advice buying a hunting dog shock collar.

/ Need advice buying a hunting dog shock collar. #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I need to buy a shock collar for my two Springer Spaniel bird dogs. They are well trained to a whistle so this is more of a fail-safe option since we now live in a more populated area. Trouble is, I know zero about these collars. These are rescue dogs (!) and quality hunters with training and good breeding. I know they had collars on in the past so I think one that also buzzes rather than shocks would be all they would need.

Does anyone have any idea on these or can offer brand names or places to buy?

When we lived in New England we never used collars and even here I wonder if a 10 ft piece of rope on the collar or some weights on the collar that bang into their legs is enough to slow them down.

/ Need advice buying a hunting dog shock collar. #2  
There are several brands of good e-collars on the market. I think they all buzz or beep. It sounds like you are doing the right thing by fully training the dogs first. E-collars don't teach anything but avoidance. They are great for keeping dogs from running into traffic, but are worthless for teaching a dog to retrieve. You will be amazed at how rarely you need to use it. With my dogs, once tickle per behavior was all it took and I never had to use it again. If they know the voice or whistle command and are just ignoring it, that is all it will take. I ordered mine off the internet.

/ Need advice buying a hunting dog shock collar. #3  
Sportdog makes the collars that I've used for years. Dog Training Collars for Hunting Dogs, Gun Dogs, Sporting Dogs - SportDOG ™ They can be found online at several retailers. Do a Google search.

Buy a single controller that will handle two dogs on separate circuits. Don't go cheap. I learned the hard way.

Before the collars I tried a number of things to slow down the dogs, including the techniques you listed. My dogs have always been hard-headed Labs so the efforts were unsuccessful. Plus, if you hunt woods or brush there are always hang-ups with things attached to regular collars...especially choke collars. The negative possibilities far outweigh any gains.

The shock collars are a blessing and after being trained to it there is no need to shock except on rare occasions. The dogs pay attention to commands much better. Just putting on the collar is a signal to the dog that certain behaviors are expected.

A good hunting dog can be ruined by the improper use of a shock collar. It should only be used to remind a dog of a command that is known and has been ignored.

/ Need advice buying a hunting dog shock collar. #4  
My dad raised and trained hunting dogs - upland game birds. He always had Lewellyn setters. There was no such thing as electronic collars in those day and the training of a good dog to properly hunt would take a year or so. I saw a man - at a local field trial - put an electronic collar on his dog. Now those who know hunting dogs know full well that a dog trained for field trial IS NOT trained for normal hunting. Anyhow, the dog ranged out and this fellow hit the button and zapped the dog. The dog sat down and that was the very last time the dog would do anything for that guy. He would take the dog out and the dog would just sit there and not move. That d++n electronic collar completely ruined the dog.

A good hunting dog has been trained by a person who knows what he is doing - and this does not include the use of an electronic collar as a training device.

/ Need advice buying a hunting dog shock collar. #5  
E-Collars are not a magic wand for the lack of training.

Before you ever push the button on an E-Collar YOU need to be trained on the proper use (and mis-use). Then you need to have training sessions with the dogs so they know what the command means. Once the training is complete then you can use the E-Collar in the field.

/ Need advice buying a hunting dog shock collar. #6  
A good hunting dog can be ruined by the improper use of a shock collar. It should only be used to remind a dog of a command that is known and has been ignored.

Absolutely correct. First train the person on how to use it.

/ Need advice buying a hunting dog shock collar. #7  
I need to buy a shock collar for my two Springer Spaniel bird dogs. They are well trained to a whistle so this is more of a fail-safe option since we now live in a more populated area. Trouble is, I know zero about these collars. These are rescue dogs (!) and quality hunters with training and good breeding. I know they had collars on in the past so I think one that also buzzes rather than shocks would be all they would need. Does anyone have any idea on these or can offer brand names or places to buy? When we lived in New England we never used collars and even here I wonder if a 10 ft piece of rope on the collar or some weights on the collar that bang into their legs is enough to slow them down.
I wouldn't use a shock collar on a springer. If your training program is correct you shouldn't need it, springers are not a breed they work well on, their personality does't lend well to shock like a lab. I've trained a few to duck hunt in Texas and Maryland. It would be a mistake. Just to mild a breed to be successful using shock. I'm not anti shock labs and others it's a must. HS

/ Need advice buying a hunting dog shock collar. #8  
I have a very head strong golden retriever female (this could be a gender thing :c), smart, well trained, but sometimes ignores a command if she'd rather do something else. Sometimes I feel like the collar should have a "capital punishment" setting she's that stubborn sometimes.

I "test" the max setting I'm willint to use on my damp wrist, and it takes surprisingly little, mostly just the vibrate "page" function is all that's needed. Only problem is she's "collar smart" - - put in on - good dog, take it off - whoopie, doin' what I want!

bumper

/ Need advice buying a hunting dog shock collar. #9  
I have tri tronics sport basic G3 that is 5 years old is used almost daily and still works great . Changed the battery's a couple times and that has been it .

/ Need advice buying a hunting dog shock collar. #10  
If you want a collar, I recommend Sportdog's. I liked the first so much, I bought a second for another dog.

The second collar for the first transmitter was close to the price of a complete set, so just got the complete set. That way my wife and I can each work a dog.