Security lights or darkness??

/ Security lights or darkness?? #1  

bucktaker

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740
We have a cabin that is near a lake in Tn only three full time residence in the area the rest are seasonal use. We keep it locked up tight and have had no issues so far.

We had three dusk to dawn lights around the house, (1)one by the drive,(2) one in the back yard and (3) one off in the woods/side of the house. only #2 is working now

Would I be better off leaving the place dark, with motion lights installed instead of dusk to dawn? Since there is no one around to see anyone breaking in why give them night light?

Or should I install new dusk to dawns ?

I am thinking of rigging motion lights that when triggered light up the whole perimeter of the house and car port? or multiple motion light fixtures that are in accessable locations

We have camera detection system inside the cabin because its too remote for an alarm that would be effective.

/ Security lights or darkness?? #2  
I vote for darkness. If nobody is around light will not do any good for you. It will make the life of the would be thief easier.

/ Security lights or darkness?? #3  
Boy, that's a dilemma!
First reading the OP's post, I'd go for the dusk to dawn lighting...but that lighting isn't going to help much if no one is around....so, I've got to agree with Redneck and keep insurance on the place.
BTW, it's not just thieves to concern you...squatters or vandals would be as much of a concern.

/ Security lights or darkness?? #4  
Nothing a that a thief likes better then darkness. Having said that, the question really is, are the lights keeping the thieves away or are you just wasting money paying for electricity? I vote for keeping the lights going. There is a lot of data that supports lighting an area at night is an effective security measure.

Eddie

/ Security lights or darkness?? #5  
Nothing a that a thief likes better then darkness. Having said that, the question really is, are the lights keeping the thieves away or are you just wasting money paying for electricity? I vote for keeping the lights going. There is a lot of data that supports lighting an area at night is an effective security measure.

Eddie
That is true but only if there is a good possibility of persons passing by that might see an intruder and know that it is an intruder and not the owner. I would think darkness would work just as well as lighting, possibly better as the intruder would need a light to see and a flashlight roaming around in the dark would be a good indication to a nosy neighbor that someone was there.
By same token, thieves could come in the daytime with ease and bring a truck to load up your belongings and leave with no one the wiser.
I think you are spending money on electricity needlessly.

/ Security lights or darkness?? #6  
Motion activated lights freak out intruders because they don't know if someone is present.

We keep our place dark, have an IR game camera on the driveway. That way the thief has to reveal himself.

/ Security lights or darkness?? #7  
I agree with motion activated lights. They do deter intruders because they don't know it's a motion sensor or someone home that turned on the light. I have three on my house but also have a camera system. I have had people pull in the driveway when I wasn't home during the day. They open their door and start to get out, then I see them pointing at the camera, get back in the car and leave. Even a fake camera can be a deterent.

/ Security lights or darkness?? #8  
I'd go with motion lights as well... why? Well, if the lights are always on at night and by chance, a neighbor or passing law enforcemnt officer can see the place, they'll get used to the lights being on all the time and never bother to look in that direction. If the lights only come on when there is a reason, it makes people notice because it is 'out of the norm'.

Also, as mentioned, if a burglar is about and the lights come on, they'll run. Of course, they may just run far enough, wait it out and try it again, but that would require risk.

You can get motion sensing lights that talk to each other. If, say, the front motion detector senses movement, it will turn on the lights in the front, sides and back as well. And security cameras that send to the internet are nice, too.

/ Security lights or darkness?? #9  
The problem with motion lights is animals will set them off. Deer are always setting mine off.

/ Security lights or darkness?? #10  
The problem with motion lights is animals will set them off. Deer are always setting mine off.

I have an occasional animal (cat, deer, dog, etc.) set mine off too but have the lights set to go back off after a minute or so. Still uses less electricity than leaving them on all night long.