Air compressor recommendation?

/ Air compressor recommendation? #1  

jymbee

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 1652, 1949 Farmall H
Our old Sears compressor is all but shot and it's time to buy a new one. Other than the inflating truck/car/tractor tires its used to drive an air wrench (removing mower blades) and blowing out long (200') water lines every fall. Appreciate input from anyone familiar with what might be a suitable model to look at these days?

/ Air compressor recommendation? #2  
jymbee, you really didn't give enough information for anyone to give you a valid recommendation. How much (psi) pressure do you need? What kind of volume (CFM) do you need? How long will it run continuously at a time? What price range are you considering? Will it be permanently set in one place, or portable and moved around? How old is that Sears compressor and what's wrong with it?

Is that Sears compressor an oilless? Personally, I have no use for an oilless. I sometimes run my compressor long enough at a time that I'd just burn it up. I used one for awhile a few years ago and tired of rebuilding it. The only good thing I could say about them is that they're relatively quick and easy to rebuild. But for occasional, infrequent use . . . they serve well for some people.

When I lived down in the country I had a 60 gallon, v-twin cylinder compressor, but now a vertical twin cylinder on a 30 gallon tank serves my purpose and I really do like 150-155 psi better than the old 120 psi max.

/ Air compressor recommendation? #4  
If you're looking at 60 gallon units I have one piece of advice that I wish somebody had told me, RPM matters, a lot.

My air compressor runs at around 3,450 RPM and it's loud. Loud enough that I can't wait to get it outside. Other compressors in that class run aroun 1,700 RPM and their low pitched sound is so much easier to deal with.

/ Air compressor recommendation? #5  
I've had a few compressors over the years, cheap imports, better Craftsman (back when they were made in the USA), but the Quincy has been the best of them. Quite, powerful, super reliable (and US made).

bumper

/ Air compressor recommendation? #6  
Good advice from both vanguard and bumperm, IF YOU CAN AFFORD SUCH! But I'd say for the majority of homeowners, they're just too expensive.

/ Air compressor recommendation? #7  
the polar air unit is 150 psi at 1650 rpms. and about 1500.00$

/ Air compressor recommendation? #8  
   / Air compressor recommendation? #9  
It would help to know his CFM requirements. If he only needs small CFM's then, any small 2 HP compressor would fit his needs. I have a small portable bostitch that I use for small stuff. It does ok until the air storage runs out. Even something like this 29 gal. 2 HP 125 PSI Cast Iron Vertical Air Compressor would probably suit his needs for the jobs he mentioned

/ Air compressor recommendation? #10