Land Access Over Railroad?

/ Land Access Over Railroad? #1  

Piper2022

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland 1920
So I am interested in a nice 110 acre parcel of land that has a working passenger rail corridor through it. In order to build a home I would need to build a driveway that crosses it as well as bring power over it.

Anyone care to chime in on what would be required? I am guessing the rail company has specific regulations on how the driveway crossing is constructed.

/ Land Access Over Railroad? #2  
It may be next to impossible to afford. A friend has a house in North Anson (Madison area) on the "wrong" side of the tracks and he can't get power across.

I would check it out very carefully.

/ Land Access Over Railroad? #3  
I would certainly want a correct & legal answer(in writing) to this situation before I purchased the land. A letter from the rail company regarding the driveway crossing and any utility crossings. Also letters from the utilities regarding their requirements on RR crossings. Also in the letter from the rail company - exactly what can and can not be within their ROW & procedures to secure permission to build within the ROW, if allowed.

You know, thinking long & hard, I can not think of a single private RR crossing in this part of the country. Lots of really long driveways off county built/maintained RR crossings.

/ Land Access Over Railroad? #4  
Might be easier getting to it some other way with an easement, or finding a different property. Sometimes counties or states require easements be given for access to landlocked properties.

I've seen long private roads on or beside the RR right of way, too, to avoid crossing it.

Bruce

/ Land Access Over Railroad? #5  
Based on a friend with a similar piece of property I don't think you'll be able to build across the tracks. He can only use his for farm or recreation.

/ Land Access Over Railroad? #7  
Helicopter.

/ Land Access Over Railroad? #8  
I read thru the narrative part of the report - link, maine.gov. How could you get a loan against property that was under a RR access situation, such as that. I do think I would exit - stage right - as fast as possible. There will be plenty of challenges building on a piece of property with "normal" access - -

/ Land Access Over Railroad?
Thanks for all the input guys. You guys are right I don't think I can pull this off. Not even worth it. The main reason this property caught my eye was that it would be a 150-200k piece of land but its listed at 59k. I figured if it maybe only cost like 20k more to get a railroad approved crossing it would be worth it.

But who am I kidding, there is a reason it's priced at what it is.

Thanks guys

/ Land Access Over Railroad? #10  
For the sake of learning more if nothing else, if a realtor is listing it they would be obligated to tell you about/disclose the RR situation if that is considered a property "defect." I think it would be, but I'm not a realtor.

But, as you say, if the property is sitting on the market at that price anywhere in Maine that passenger rail goes, there is a good reason for that.