Made a Pickaroon

/ Made a Pickaroon #1  

KiotiJason

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DS3510 and 2 x Fordson Power Majors
I've seen a few Pickaroon/hookaroons on the Internet and thought I'd make one out of an old axe. After a bit of cutting and grinding I think it came up ok. I was really impressed with how well it works. It really does save your back and makes for extra reach on the wood pile.
image.jpgimage.jpg

/ Made a Pickaroon #2  
Interesting. I had never heard of a Pickaroon; let alone seen one. There's a lot of stuff on the internet about them, including a how-to video where they guy made one from and old axe. I see how they work, but I'm not sure how they would be used in actual practice.

/ Made a Pickaroon
Interesting. I had never heard of a Pickaroon; let alone seen one. There's a lot of stuff on the internet about them, including a how-to video where they guy made one from and old axe. I see how they work, but I'm not sure how they would be used in actual practice.
Yeah the Utube video of the conversion from an axe is the one I based mine off. There are others where you can use a bolt and a piece of pipe. As far a using it's pretty easy, just swinging it into the wood it sticks and then you can lift it or move where you like. I've found it really good for getting would out of the back of the ute and also saving bending over when I'm using the hyd wood splitter. It's just a way of using the tool and not your back.

/ Made a Pickaroon #4  
Yeah the Utube video of the conversion from an axe is the one I based mine off. There are others where you can use a bolt and a piece of pipe. As far a using it's pretty easy, just swinging it into the wood it sticks and then you can lift it or move where you like. I've found it really good for getting would out of the back of the ute and also saving bending over when I'm using the hyd wood splitter. It's just a way of using the tool and not your back.

Neat. I picked up on the word "Ute"; I had a very dear internet friend from Australia that I met on the Chevytalk site several years ago. He had a 1956 Ute and a 1942 Buick as I recall; we corresponded pretty regularly until his passing; exchanging calendars and other things. He was from Bargo, NSW.

/ Made a Pickaroon
Neat. I picked up on the word "Ute"; I had a very dear internet friend from Australia that I met on the Chevytalk site several years ago. He had a 1956 Ute and a 1942 Buick as I recall; we corresponded pretty regularly until his passing; exchanging calendars and other things. He was from Bargo, NSW.
Yes Bargo is just out of Wollongong NSW, the company I work for is there but I'm based in Victoria. The UTE was designed in Geelong Vic by Ford in 1932 and is pretty much the backbone of this country. I've got friends in Cottage Grove Oregon that we visit from time to time. Love spending time overhere.

/ Made a Pickaroon #6  
Would love to visit you country some day, but it ain't a cheap vacation!

/ Made a Pickaroon #7  
Great job.

I am very familiar with these having lived in Maine for a lot of years. You could peen the tip over a bit to form a "hook" and it helps hold the wood in place. I can take a picture of mine if need be. These are wonderful tools.

/ Made a Pickaroon
Great job.

I am very familiar with these having lived in Maine for a lot of years. You could peen the tip over a bit to form a "hook" and it helps hold the wood in place. I can take a picture of mine if need be. These are wonderful tools.
Thanks six dogs, I did think of having more of a hook to it however I was worried it could break off. It also would have been difficult to cut that shape with a grinder. This one seems to work really well but I am planning to make another with an axe head in better condition. These pickaroons are pretty much in heard of over hear, occasionally I have seen the odd one pop up on ebay but very rarely.

/ Made a Pickaroon #9  
It's been a lot of years but when my bent tip wore a little I think I whacked it with a hammer.

/ Made a Pickaroon #10  
And further, a pickeroon with a hook is actually called a hookeroon. Or it was in the woods of Maine.