SALES TAX RANT

/ SALES TAX RANT #1  

Steppenwolfe

Tractor
Kubota MX5400, 1140 RTV
OK. Bought myself a new truck for the first time since moving to Virginia two years ago. Previously, in South Carolina it was a $300.00 set fee, no problem. BUT, here in Va it is 4% of sale price. Short story, came to $2,400.00. I almost fell off the chair. Dealer apologized profusely, but what could he do? This is above and beyond the title, registration fees, and the personal property tax I have to pay every year on the truck as long as I own it. My question is, who gets that money, and what do I get out of it ? I'm pretty sure I just took one in the shorts. What a rip off...

/ SALES TAX RANT #2  
OK. Bought myself a new truck for the first time since moving to Virginia two years ago. Previously, in South Carolina it was a $300.00 set fee, no problem. BUT, here in Va it is 4% of sale price. Short story, came to $2,400.00. I almost fell off the chair. Dealer apologized profusely, but what could he do? This is above and beyond the title, registration fees, and the personal property tax I have to pay every year on the truck as long as I own it. My question is, who gets that money, and what do I get out of it ? I'm pretty sure I just took one in the shorts. What a rip off...

But think of all that good your money will do providing social benefits.

Virginians everywhere thank you for your contributions, I'm sure.

/ SALES TAX RANT #3  
But think of all that good your money will do providing social benefits.

Virginians everywhere thank you for your contributions, I'm sure.

At least the politicians that stuck you with all those taxes will be pleased. It's even worse here!

/ SALES TAX RANT #4  
I believe it goes to the transportation fund which is already sorely lacking. Next year will be a new low for road maintenance in our area due to lack of funds. Some people I know who have property in SC or FLa register their cars there to avoid this tax. I do understand your frustration

/ SALES TAX RANT #5  
I believe it goes to the transportation fund which is already sorely lacking. Next year will be a new low for road maintenance in our area due to lack of funds. Some people I know who have property in SC or FLa register their cars there to avoid this tax. I do understand your frustration
Is that how it's actually being spent? Don't know about Virginia, but here, there is a huge backlash about transporation funds (i.e. gas taxes) being spent on legislators' pet projects. So much so that there is a new bill that will be introduced in our next session (January 2015) that directs that money collected can only be used for roads.

/ SALES TAX RANT #6  
The problem here is taxes have not been increased on fuel so lees money for maintaince and even new projects. Roads are suffering because of this and in turn we as the end users are going to suffer as well. I'm not up on Texas but what you say does not surprise me in the least. North Carolina has much higher fuel taxes and their roads are in much better shape than ours

/ SALES TAX RANT #7  
That new bill would be a great idea. I must confess I'm in the paving business so more money spent on roads effects my bottom line.

/ SALES TAX RANT #8  
The problem here is taxes have not been increased on fuel so lees money for maintaince and even new projects. Roads are suffering because of this and in turn we as the end users are going to suffer as well. I'm not up on Texas but what you say does not surprise me in the least. North Carolina has much higher fuel taxes and their roads are in much better shape than ours
That coupled with higher fuel economy means people are not buying that much gas. It's the same everywhere.

/ SALES TAX RANT #9  
Yes it is, I do not like tax increases any more than the next guy but in this case I think the ends justify the means. When bridges start to fall or roads come apart endangering lives something must be done. Perhaps if you want to play you've got to pay applies