Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4300, John Deere 450C

Default Keeping new construction comfortable inside during winter

Hey all;

While building the new house out here in central WA state, the cold has moved in and although I don't mind working in the cold, it would be nice to be inside working in a light jacket rather than being a carhartt mummy.

The house is framed, roofed and sided. I am working on plumbing, electrical and mechanical and of course can't insulate until inspected.

The two major issues in the house with the cold is the ridge vent at the top of the house that runs 60' the length of the house, and on each side of the house, all of the bird blocking that lets a good breeze through if the wind gets up under the porches.

I wanted to hear some creative ideas on keeping some heat in over the next several weeks while I work away inside.

One thought was to take some 6mil plastic and just run it across the bird blocking with staples to temporarily keep the breeze out, and do the same at the top for the ridge vent. Then run some 80,000 BTU heaters in there to get some work done.

Thoughts and more ideas or experience?

~Moses

Tractor
    M 9540 Kubota

Default Re: Keeping new construction comfortable inside during winter

Your solutions are on the right track and about all you can do at this point. Check with your inspector, by now you have some kind of a relationship with him and hopefully he has seen enough to have a little mercy on you and might allow some insulation, providing that you are willing to remove any of it for future inspections. Carhart mummy, I hear ya!!
    ]We need more people to WORK for a living and less people to VOTE for a living!
    (proven on 11/6/12)

Tractor
    Kubota, B7100HST-D

I framed and roofed my place over winter. I dressed in layers and started cold mornings with the heavier work or by pounding nails.
    Steve

The best things in life are not things.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Jinma 354, purchased 2007

Work harder.

Veteran Member
    Olalla WA, Kitsap Peninsula, West of Seattle
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25

I have a kerosene/diesel fueled blast heater -p_03-jpg. There are many brands and sizes, the big box stores have them. Even most of the kerosene ones will also burn diesel fine. I use diesel (off road). My steel shop is not heated except this way. , I have used them on many construction sites and tent type fab shops here in the PNW. Just make sure the fumes have an escape route like open some windows and doors. They heat a small area close to your work very nicely. Over there in your valley the moisture in the combustion gases will probably freeze in droplets or icicles above. They will sublimate when the heat is off and go away if they stay frozen.

Rom

Tractor
    Mahindra Max 28XL, HST, TLB

Stop the blow though, stop the excess feeling of cold.
    Small heater will work.

Luck
    “Do It Right The First Time"
    Purchased Mahindra Max28XL (43 hrs), HST, TLB

Sold the SC2450.

Tractor
    Kubota L5240 HSTC, (Kubota L3130 HST - sold)

Only 80k BTU? I had 300k+ in mine last winter, and it was "workable" at best. It was a bullet style long tube burner (we called it the dragon) that needed external air to feed it to stop CO issues. I took out a window and framed over it with OSB and some 2x's to make an opening for it that was enough but not crazy. Mine was also plumbed directly into the natural gas, or could have been set up for propane if needed. Gas bills were ~$450/mo for the 3 main months of winter. Sucked, but no choice. It was a brutal winter too.
    -Dave

"Being a pessimist is great. You can't lose. Either you end up being right...or you are pleasantly surprised."

L5240HST, QA, 824 Loader, 48" Forks, 48" Grapple, rear blade, box blade, landscape rake, Ancient Farmi Skidding winch
    Trailer - 10k/16' twin axle w/elec brakes
    2005 F250 5.4V8(3V) 3.73/4wd tow vehicle

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4300, John Deere 450C

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyiron View Post
    Your solutions are on the right track and about all you can do at this point. Check with your inspector, by now you have some kind of a relationship with him and hopefully he has seen enough to have a little mercy on you and might allow some insulation, providing that you are willing to remove any of it for future inspections. Carhart mummy, I hear ya!!
    Good idea, I can ring them up and see what others are doing that is convenient. I'm sure L&I (inspects electrical separate from building department) won't be so keen on me covering anything up.

Quote Originally Posted by quicksandfarmer View Post
    Work harder.
    I knew that was coming...

Quote Originally Posted by dstig1 View Post
    Only 80k BTU? I had 300k+ in mine last winter, and it was "workable" at best. It was a bullet style long tube burner (we called it the dragon) that needed external air to feed it to stop CO issues. I took out a window and framed over it with OSB and some 2x's to make an opening for it that was enough but not crazy. Mine was also plumbed directly into the natural gas, or could have been set up for propane if needed. Gas bills were ~$450/mo for the 3 main months of winter. Sucked, but no choice. It was a brutal winter too.
    I was planning on two 80,000 BTU heaters. I can always add more if necessary. At least now I know I'm on the right track... Its no fun at all going into a 15 degree building that stays cold long after the sun has broken the basin.

I'd prefer to crank some heaters on, start working and before I know it, its 90 degrees and my wife has brought me a pitcher of piña colada.

~Moses

Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

Have your wife do the work 'till it's 90*, then bring her the coladas!
    2010 DK-40se/hst, Kioti KL-401 FEL, (reversible Kioti cutting edge), 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter valve. HLA Series 2000 7' snowplow, Aquiline MPC rear chains. Samuri Sickle bar.

Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, with bagger. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang mower, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss, '86 anniversary edition.

Tractor
    Bobcat B200 TLB

Without insulation, the heat load will surely be greater, but for the sake of comparison, my corn stove would produce about 8000btu/hr and heated the entire 1300 sq ft floor toasty hot. The key thing is that it runs all the time, does not cycle on and off like a furnace. I have been heating a drafty barn with no insulation whatsoever, probably 14 ft ceilings (base of the rafters) 40x120 ft and I take the chill off using a 45k torpedo heater. No it will not get down to shirtsleeves, but I did get warm enough to take off my jacket and work in my flannels. Obviously with such a large building, I had it "pointed" towards the area where I was working...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast