Four wheelers tresspassing.

/ Four wheelers tresspassing. #1  

GBOUTDOORS

Silver Member
Tractor
Bx2360
We bought 22 acres of forest land 5 years ago to build our new home on and to have some peace and quiet. This land was never posted till we got it and has many old logging trails on it. After I was done with the house and had some time I posted all the trails leading off the property to the end of five streets. The first year we had a few hunters that thought that forest is forest and they had hunted there for years and who was I to say no now. We also had a few four wheelers keep coming threw on weekends and again was told we have done this in the past. Now before some one says it I am not anti hunting as my freezer now has 110# of venison burger in it :) (been a very good season so far). I also owned a four wheeler for many years and loved ridding. I have always looked up the owner of any land I wished to hunt or ride on and got permission FIRST.

After the first two years of living here the trespassing had come to an end and we have enjoyed our land for three years with out any problems till a few weeks ago when I notice some one had gone up and down all my trails and dug them all up with a four wheeler at high speed. I placed a few large logs across the trail they came in on hopping they would not return. The next weekend we were out on Sat. and on my Sunday walk found the logs moved and the trails dug up even more and many trees painted with bright orange paint. I checked a few of my trail cameras and found a picture of a woman holding a spray can of paint.

image-1415355890.jpg

I put all the logs back across the trail and put up a camera at the entrance from this street and a sign in the middle of the trail with a note that you must call my number before entering my land please. The next weekend we were gone on Sat. again and on my Sunday walk found the logs moved once again and some nice pictures of the four wheeler.

image-2835527188.jpg

I know someone that lives on the street they are coming in on and asked them if they had seen anyone and was told no but that they would keep an eye out and call if they saw anyone. Well this past weekend they called and said that someone from the house across the street from them had just drove two quads out of their garage and down the street to our land. We were not home but headed there after the call. It was about two hours before we got home and I walked out back to find all the logs moved once again. This time I walked out to the street and call the police and had a cruiser meet me in front of the house the quads had come from. It was a very good friend of ours that showed up and asked what I wanted to do and I said I just wanted him to go down the trail to see that it was posted and that I did not want anyone coming on the property. As we walked back out to the street someone in the house was watching so he asked if I wanted him to talk to the owner. I left it up to him and headed back down MY trail to put the logs back and go back home.

The office called me to let me know that it was that house and that the lady in the house said her husband and daughter had gone for a ride and was put out that I had a problem with them ridding on our land. She even told him if that was the kind of neighbor we were going to be well. I took a walk later in the day and this is what I found on my trail.

image-793308382.jpg

The officer called and said that the women had called and said her daughters quad had broke down and that they had gone back home to get a rope to tow it. I walked back and sat on the log to wait for him to return and asked why they had not asked for permission to come on our property. To this he had no answer so I offered to get my tractor and get the quad out of the woods to the street and told them I did not want any trouble just to be able to enjoy the land we had paid $300,000.00 dollars for in peace. So yesterday I was in the back yard and who should go driving by but this same piece of crap.

Sorry for the long post but I just needed to get this off my chest. And what do you think I should do now. Perhaps I should take my tractor over to their back yard for a spin .

/ Four wheelers tresspassing. #2  
Why take the tractor to the back yard, start in the front and make sure your breaks work well alternating every few feet. Don't forget the orange paint on their trees, you might hit one. LOL!!
Time to quit being a gentlemen and stand up for your rights!

/ Four wheelers tresspassing. #3  
got some nice evidence. And they have the nerve to question you for not being neighborly? I'd have told them nice neighbors don't trespass and tear up other people's property.

/ Four wheelers tresspassing. #4  
You almost seem apologetic about wanting to enjoy your land. You bought it. You own it. You get to make the rules on your land. I would give the Sheriff's office copies of the photos and ask them to pay a formal visit. The problem is not you. The problem is jerks with an entitlement attitude. If they want land on which to ride, they can go buy some.

/ Four wheelers tresspassing. #5  
Call the police.
File charges.
Relax.

/ Four wheelers tresspassing. #8  
I understand your frustration. Just one question. Why haven't you knocked on their door and had a man to man discussion with him?? Maybe you have and I missed it. If you haven't, do that first. Then the next time they trespass follow Joecoin's advice.

Secondly, you missed a good opportunity to take possession of the Quad when it was left on your property.

Sorry to hear of your problems. I had to make a neighbor move 1/4 mile of fence last year when he built it 8ft over on my property. He said 8ft of land isn't much. I said then why didn't you build it 8ft over on your property. He stood there silently looking at me and said okay I'll move it.

/ Four wheelers tresspassing. #9  
I said then why didn't you build it 8ft over on your property. He stood there silently looking at me and said okay I'll move it.

That is FUNNY ...

Just curious if he offered to buy the 8ft. Might have saved everyone a lot of trouble.

As for the 4 wheeler problem... I agree - confiscating the stranded unit would have been a great idea. Personally, knocking on his door for a confrontation, although tempting, could lead to real trouble. I would keep law enforcement involved. Document the problem - get identifiable photos - file trespassing charges.

/ Four wheelers tresspassing. #10  
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I also live on a large parcel and on occasion I hear bikes. But for the most part they are respectful and try to be quiet while passing through. . If our state did not close all the state forests ...that are designed for recreation and paid for by tax payers, to motorcycles. Many of these guys would be riding there and not on private property.