Alaska pics--can we keep politics out of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Alaska pics--can we keep politics out of this? #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
The thread was closed before I could comment. No one addressed the validity of the pics, which I believe are relevant. Here we go:

Those pics don't mean a thing.

Take 2 minutes to give it some thought.

Consider, what time of year were each of the pics taken? Were the early ones taken in winter, early spring, late spring and the later ones taken in mid or late summer? Note all the green in the later pics. All taken in summer. The early ones? We don't know.

How much snow fell in the area each year the pics were taken?

In some pics they show trees now where the glacier supposedly was 100 years ago. Compare the pics carefully. Camera location can do a lot to tell a story--or a lie. Glacier scoured rock doesn't make soil fast enough to allow trees, which grow very slowly in Alaska, to populate the areas shown.

Our home in Montana was on glacial till--the glaciers retreated about 10,000 years ago. Soil was a mixture of rock and very poor soil. We had trees only because an Oregon volcano erupted and deposited 6" of soil on top of the glacial till. You don't get trees where the glaciers retreated just 100 years ago.

I've been to Alaska. While in the Air National Guard, and a forester in my civilian job, I was interested in tree growth rates. I checked an area being cut for a right of way--NOT located on a recent glacial site. Stumps were about 3" in diameter and rings were so tight I couldn't count them.

Any time you see before & after pics be a little skeptical, ask when each of the pics were taken, what were the seasonal and yearly weather differences? Do the purported conclusions seem reasonable? Don't be easily taken in.

/ Alaska pics--can we keep politics out of this? #2  
I didn't see the original thread. This post makes some very, very good points.

/ Alaska pics--can we keep politics out of this? #3  
Glaciers don't come and go in winter and summer. There's undisputed, documented, time lapsed photography that shows the glaciers are melting more than they are being rebuilt all over the planet in almost every location. No one with any sense is denying the climate is getting warmer. What folks are arguing about is if man-made causes are to blame for this warming or not.

/ Alaska pics--can we keep politics out of this? #5  
Was the other thread really that out of bounds? I don't think so.

As several had pointed out, the photos were intentionally misleading - much like a tv diet pill commercial with before/after photos.

I think, too, even if one is to accept "warming" - there is a point to be made concerning the benefits.

For one, I would love to live in some of those "horrible" warm spots in the photos :)

/ Alaska pics--can we keep politics out of this? #6  
The pictures noting a tidewater glacier terminus would be from areas at or very near sea level. I don't find it hard to believe trees would grow at low altitude where temperatures are also moderated by sea water. Coastal temperature effects can be quite large.

There are sub-tropical plants growing on the coast of England where the warm Gulf Stream alters the coastal climate, for example. Seasons here in inland Maine can easily lead and lag those on the southern Maine coast by three weeks. 600' more altitude, 120 miles distant from the ocean, and four to six weeks shorter growing season makes a big difference.

What is the alternative explanation? Someone photo shopped the trees into the pictures?

/ Alaska pics--can we keep politics out of this? #7  
Was the other thread really that out of bounds? I don't think so.

As several had pointed out, the photos were intentionally misleading - much like a tv diet pill commercial with before/after photos.

I think, too, even if one is to accept "warming" - there is a point to be made concerning the benefits.

For one, I would love to live in some of those "horrible" warm spots in the photos :)

Come on... Really!? You're gonna try to 'nitpick' a set of photos so that you might be able to keep your denial 'intact'!! Good luck with that... Should work out real well.

I love Dall sheep hunting (Mountain Goat hunting; not so much) and I've got a series of photos taken over the past 38 years that illustrate very clearly what has happened to the glaciers and ice fields where I hunt.

They are literally MILES from where they once were when I first started hunting those areas.

I don't care to get bogged down in placing blame, etc. I'd much rather see new technologies like bio-diesel from green algae! Or bio-fuels grown from camelina or wood waste from the many thousands of acres in Alaska that are not used for food production.

AKfish

/ Alaska pics--can we keep politics out of this? #8  
I wish you success in keeping the thread out of name calling and the political abyss. I have learned that there are some TBN members who simply revel more in being perverse and ignoring the forum rules than participating in a rational, fact filled and well researched logical discourse. Further, they refuse to keep their rudeness to the politics forum.

As for me, it's clear that warming exists and believe it to be significantly influenced by the activities of industrialized mankind.

/ Alaska pics--can we keep politics out of this? #9  
   / Alaska pics--can we keep politics out of this? #10  
Status
Not open for further replies.