Deer Feeder "Apple Corn?"

/ Deer Feeder "Apple Corn?" #1  

ArmyPair2

Silver Member
Tractor
NorTrac/40XT
:shocked: Yesterday while shopping I saw what was new to me called "apple corn" and so I decided to buy a few bags to place in a inactive deer feeder., When I opened the bags to fill the feeder part way I got a very strong smell of apples. This is a area right outside the front door where my dog loves to chase off deer just for fun and yes that feeder is level. Has any of you ever tried this apple corn? It was only a little over six bucks per bag and last night was my first results. The area where this was tested was conducted in a no hunting zone and the first time more than one deer was caught on cam.

test 1.JPGteat 2.JPG

/ Deer Feeder "Apple Corn?" #2  
Where did you find this product?

/ Deer Feeder "Apple Corn?"
I got these bags from what used to be a old tractor and seed store but now converted to a food super market near Tallassee, Alabama. They had pallets of this deer corn off in the front but off to the side and just wanted to see if it worked. I should have saved a bag to see where it comes from or who makes it plus I just showed the wife the disk for the cam and she told me that she seen a whole family last night. If you need me to I can make a trip out there and get the info off a bag.

/ Deer Feeder "Apple Corn?" #4  
Thank you I will Google it and see what comes up.

/ Deer Feeder "Apple Corn?" #5  
I tried it when I was focusing more on hogs and it ran them off. Who knew that hogs where so particular? I've found that they can be very picky and won't show up at the feeder if I use walmart corn or add anything different to corn. I tried veggies and leftovers thinking that it would attract them.

I fenced off my feeder to keep them away because I'm bored with shooting them and want to attract deer. For awhile I had both, but over the last couple of years the deer have disappeared and the hogs have taken over. Seeing your pics and comments, I'm going to try the apple corn again. They sell it right next to the regular corn for a buck more per sack.

Thanks,
Eddie

/ Deer Feeder "Apple Corn?" #6  
I haven't seen where the apple flavor makes any difference. But, I haven't done any scientific study.

In my area, rice bran seems to attract the deer better than any corn. But, rice bran has it's problems too. The main problem is that it will not flow through a feeder. And I also know that it is not very available in areas outside of rice growing area. And, it has a much shorter 'shelf life' than corn.

We use corn feeders that feed every morning, but we will go dump 25 - 50 lbs of rice bran in an area we plan to hunt for a few days. It will take 2-3 days for deer to find the bran, but they will return to it every day until it's gone.

/ Deer Feeder "Apple Corn?"
Where did you find this product?

What works this year may not work next year it is I just never seen this before and wanted to see how my deer reacted to it.

test bag 2.jpgtest bag.jpg

/ Deer Feeder "Apple Corn?" #8  
I saw it at Millbrook, AL Wal-Mart. Guess that I am going to have to try it. The deer are not coming to plain old corn at all. They are not really coming to grass patch yet, either. There are still a lot of acorns in the woods. The only thing that I see that I don't like are those chemicals. I wonder if there is some type of apple spray to put on regular corn?

/ Deer Feeder "Apple Corn?" #9  
Good point that seasons vary. :thumbsup: Sometimes corn, or sugar beets, or carrots. Apple flavor doesn't do so much here since I'm bordering an orchard. but ... when and where apples are what happening at other spots we always stomp or split several when baiting or checking a spread, sometimes grinding/scrubbing one into the bark of a nearby tree when we set up. I learned from fur trapping the value of 'attractant scents', and apple is a dandy dinner bell for deer.

An apple or two smashed near any bait helps them to find your offering, and an assortment of other items will usually tell which they prefer in a given year. Deer are somewhat like house pets in that once their gut is bio-accustomed to a diet they'd just as soon stick to one thing for digestibility, tho' we can expect acorns to be in the mix every season. btw, my pal in Fort Payne says that in AL there are more deer than hunters, seeming to be the opposite of hunting in MI. IIRC the hunting season is a bit longer there, too. :licking:

/ Deer Feeder "Apple Corn?" #10  
The only thing that I see that I don't like are those chemicals. I wonder if there is some type of apple spray to put on regular corn?

Hehehe be a sad day when you don't want to eat the deer because they are too full of preservatives and artificial flavoring! ;)