Primitive Ranching

/ Primitive Ranching #1  

Moves

Tractor
MF 231 1996; JD D110 2012
I think this is correct site for this Question....

I'm looking for ideas on how to outfit my "ranch" in a primitive way.... old school...
By ranch, I mean 40 acres with no (zero) livestock on it at this point.... and no pastures, and no fences... diamond in the rough.

I made a gate out of a peeled 5" diameter pine pole as that's the look I'm trying for... rustic and primitive. (My brother hates it and likes TSC gates).

Anyway, I'm looking for a site that explores the primitive look I'm shooting for with pix and techniques, etc but I just cant find one.

Any ideas?

/ Primitive Ranching #2  
You may find the older articles light on pics (that's just a time/people thing, not really to do with Whole Earth), but some of these may be worth a read.

Table of Contents

On the energy side of things, I've always liked Homepower. Recent articles are more mainstream/urban, as Alt Power has moved that way, but some of the older material concerned construction on remote sites, all over the world.

Renewable Energy & Efficiency Technologies | Home Power Magazine

Lee Valley Tools has some good and reasonably priced books on old construction techniques.

Rgds, D.

/ Primitive Ranching #3  
There was a series of books, mostly about the people in Appalachia, called Foxfire. I remember they had a lot of do it yourself type stories from the old way of living, as in over 100 years ago. Lots of photos as I recall also. My mom had the books and I looked through them, but its been over 35 years ago, but I did see them available on Amazon. I remember one photo showing how they augured out straight long thin pieces of logs to make water pipe out of it.

/ Primitive Ranching #4  
It's simple. Use only hand tools and the materials you can find on your property or naturally occurring in the area. No paint, no preservatives.

Use it up
Wear it out
Make it do
Or do without

I grew up on a ranch founded by my great grandmother in the Texas Hill Country when there were still Indians, wolves and bears there. Husband died of pneumonia while she was pregnant.

I recommend gloves. My grandfather's hands were so calloused from work that he regularly picked up large live glowing coals to light his cigarette.

Primitive ranching..a tough life. Romantic only in the rear view mirror.

I have the Foxfire books...there were two volumes. They DO have many photos. It was a project to preserve the old ways, published in the 70's as I recall. They are, in fact, the only books I have ever seen which both describe construction techniques and way of life with photos and authentic commentary based on experience.

Foxfire (magazine) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
   / Primitive Ranching #5  
Rough sawn lumber, split shakes roof, no concrete or asphalt, no nursery hybrid varieties, no manicured lawn, Aermotor Windmill Co, well pump.

/ Primitive Ranching #6  
The Foxfire books are great. Just spend tons of time and as little money as possible on every project. Also, work really, really hard. Anytime you could spend a little money to make your life easier, remember that that wasn't an option in the era you are re-creating. Good luck to you.

Another thought, try buying stuff from the amish, those guys still make stuff that way.

/ Primitive Ranching #7  
The Foxfire books were started by an English teacher in GA. He thought it better for the students to go out and write about something than to sit in a classroom and memorize grammar. So the students went out into the backwoods and interviewed old timers about "the affairs of plain living" which they then distilled into a book. I think there were at least five volumes produced -- each from a different year's class. They are worth having even if you aren't going to implement the techniques yourself.

You might give The Mother Earth News a try. While they have moved into alternative energy and other modern techniques for living off the land, there is still a lot of material on basic, old time ways of doing things -- especially in the older issues from the 80's.

There was a reality show a few years back called Texas Ranch House [I think] where they put some families on an 19th century ranch. It was a take-off on a previous show where families had to live in houses from the 19th century. I actually applied for it -- much to the horror of my wife and kids -- but didn't make the cut. But there might be lessons to be learned from it.

And as for Amish stuff, check out Lehman's Hardware. They cater to the Amish community and you can find everything from iceboxes to harness to cherry pitters. They even have old time steel cut nails.

My place in the country is a bit of a time capsule as everything was left pretty much as it was in the 40's. We even have the kerosene lamps still mounted in the rooms and the hand driven washer in the shed. Lots of logging chains, cycles, and heavy metal parts around too. We have a log gate counterweighted with rocks on the end of the top rail. And it looks much better than anything at TSC.

/ Primitive Ranching #8  
I live on 80 acres. Most folks say they live in the middle of nowhere, if they are quite a distance from anywhere. Well, based upon that thought - I live on the far side of nowhere. Mile long gravel driveway and nearest neighbor is 4.5 miles away. I got the entire series of Foxfire books and decided right away that "primitive ranching" was just not for me even though I'm a long distance from nowhere.

You will find out in a hurry if its for you. Remember it means - no electricity, limited running water - perhaps, minimal indoor plumbing - maybe, no phone, no autos of any kind, no tractors - basically NO MODERN CONVENIENCES. Any working of the land will be by mule or ox team and any travel will be by horse & buggy. If you need to see how this operates - spend some time with the Amish or Hutterites.

Yes - you will find out in a really big hurry if its all for show or if you have the guts to go it.

I have used many of the ideas & concepts from the Foxfire series but I would only go all the way if I were about 50 years younger - ha,ha. Besides, I found that the concept & practice of "primitive ranching" was not my cup of tea.

/ Primitive Ranching #9  
I took it the OP wants a "primitive look" not a primitive life.

/ Primitive Ranching #10  
I agree, it sounds like he wants to do it more as a hobby instead of a way of life.