Woodburner install Pics

/ Woodburner install Pics #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Just some pics of the brunco 120 wood-stove I installed. Had to take the pics for the insurance company so I figured I'd post them also.

Probably only burn it for a year then it will be back-up only once I get geo-thermal installed.

Basebard heat is $$$$. My daily KwH usage was 115-120. Or about 3500/month. In my area, that equates to $420/month electric bill.

Using this for the past 3 days had dropped the usage to 50/day. Or about 1500/month. and at $0.12/kwh, thats $180/month.

So baseboard heat was costing me ~$240/month for the past month, with an average temp probably in the mid 30's. And Jan-Feb probably average low 20's. So it was only gonna get worse.

We will see just how much wood it takes to get through a month to see how much it will take me for that savings.

/ Woodburner install Pics
Forgot to add the pics
IMG_20141215_114938_601.jpgIMG_20141215_115039_454.jpgIMG_20141215_115051_154.jpg

/ Woodburner install Pics #3  
I had about $3500 into our woodburning stove.
$1500 for stove.
$1500 for stove pipe.
$500 for installation by certified installer (required by my home-owner's insurance co.).

It paid for itself in a bit over 4 years. Now my heat is free, if I don't put a value on my time! :laughing:

I had about $3500 into our woodburning stove.
$1500 for stove.
$1500 for stove pipe.
$500 for installation by certified installer (required by my home-owner's insurance co.).

It paid for itself in a bit over 4 years. Now my heat is free, if I don't put a value on my time! :laughing:

The stove was free:) Was the old one in my parents old house before they built a new house w/heat pump.

Chimney was already there and in good shape. Stove pipe cost ~$40

I can figure out how much it saves me on my electric bill. Now just gotta wait and see how much wood I use in a months time to know how much it is costing me to operate. I enjoy cutting wood when time allows. Normally I just sell it, and average $150/cord.

So if I burn a cord a month (which I think is a high estimate based on burning for the last 4 days now), looks like I will save $90/month in the long haul. But probably a little more since my base line for electric heat was nov-dec when we werent into the dead of winter just yet.

Electric company has a nice tool to moniter my usage.

Green bars us usage, Black line is temps.

Can anyone tell what day I moved in? And what day I started the wood stove?

electric.JPG

/ Woodburner install Pics #6  
Electric company has a nice tool to moniter my usage.

Green bars us usage, Black line is temps.

Can anyone tell what day I moved in? And what day I started the wood stove?

View attachment 402896

That's awesome. I wish my power company did that. We just get a low-res bar graph printed on the bill, and it only goes back one year.

Photo Dec 16, 2 50 57 PM.jpg

Yea, its pretty cool to be able to break it down by day.

I can go back multiple months or multiple years too, but since I have only owned the place since the first week of november....I cannot go back any further.

/ Woodburner install Pics #8  
Well, had you installed it back in November, you'd notice a bigger savings. This month has been very warm.

A couple things about trying to find out how much you save... of course, we all know about weather. Cold is cold and warm is warm. But then there's factors such as how much the utility costs, have your rates gone up or down, how often you are home, other people in the house that may or may not turn the heat up or down, sunny days, weeks where you don't do laundry or cooking, etc... lots of variables. Ours are fairly consistent in winter. Gas heat, water heater, dryer and stove. Same human schedules week-to-week. Wood burner has been going non-stop since Nov. 1st. November was cold. November gas bill was $60.00. Almost half of that was "delivery charges" and taxes. :rolleyes: Our actual gas usage annually has gone down over 60% over pre-wood burner days. I wanted to cut our gas usage in half and we did better than that, so I'm happy. Our summers are the ones that are unpredictable. We have a pool, but the filter has to run weather we use it or not, so that's a constant. But our electric can skyrocket with electric air conditioning costs.

Anyhow, glad you are seeing immediate results with your installation. Looks good, too! :thumbsup:

/ Woodburner install Pics #9  
Basebard heat is $$$$. My daily KwH usage was 115-120. Or about 3500/month. In my area, that equates to $420/month electric bill.

Using this for the past 3 days had dropped the usage to 50/day. Or about 1500/month. and at $0.12/kwh, thats $180/month.

I use about 1/10th the kW that you use (350 kW per month) and the price here is not quite triple at 32 cents.

Still wish we had an option for wood heat... enough fallen oak on the property to never run out...

You must be all gas for cooking, hot water, and dryer? No 240v appliances?