Christmas Cheer

/ Christmas Cheer #1  

Soggy Bottom Outdoors

Gold Member
Tractor
2013 john deere 5075E and others
I've got most of my wifes gifts bought, wrapped and under the tree. I would also like to get her a nice bottle of wine. Shes not a regular wine drinker, just a glass or two during the holidays. Any suggestions? She likes sweet, nothing dry or woody. I tried a merlot a couple years ago and it was a flop. How it goes with a particular food is not a concern, price is not a issue. Any thoughts?

/ Christmas Cheer #2  
Pinot Noir, Reisling, Pinot Gregio, nd Zinfandel are all sweet wines.

/ Christmas Cheer #3  
Moscato would be another good one. My wife likes the ones by Barefoot and Innocent Bystander. I usually don't like super sweet wines but another real good one is Leanueaw Cellars Winter White

/ Christmas Cheer #4  
A German RheinHessen Auslese or Nahe Auslese are sweet but good wines if you can find them. The grapes are harvested later when they are sweeter. Or, a domestic wine that says it compares to an Auslese would be worth trying.

Auslese - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

/ Christmas Cheer #5  
I've got most of my wifes gifts bought, wrapped and under the tree. I would also like to get her a nice bottle of wine. Shes not a regular wine drinker, just a glass or two during the holidays. Any suggestions? She likes sweet, nothing dry or woody. I tried a merlot a couple years ago and it was a flop. How it goes with a particular food is not a concern, price is not a issue. Any thoughts?

German wines, like a Liebfraumilch or Gewurtztraminer would fit the bill. They pair nicely with spicy foods and Asian, by the way.

/ Christmas Cheer #6  
how about making it even more festive!
Barefoot Moscato champagne! sweet and bubbly,
I love it!
when SO and I have a nice alone nite we get a bottle of
brut champagne and one of the moscato, and a good time is had by all!
usually accompanied by a couple steaks, and a few other
choice drinks, and weather permitting dancing out on the back
patio by the fire pit, with some great tunes playing on Pandora....
:D
**** i miss summer

/ Christmas Cheer #7  
The Rieslings are a good recommendation. One that I like is a Gewürztraminer. It's a little smoother than the Rieslings. Here's a nice bottle that's probably available at your grocery store if you have a good sized Kroger / Ralph's / Publix / etc. nearby.

Dutch445's recommendation of a Moscato champagne is also good. I'm partial to a Moscato d'Asti - probably also available at a good size grocery store. It's on the sweet side with little bubbles in it. Good stuff!

Whatever you do, don't get her a White Zinfandel (a pink colored wine). That's sickeningly sweet to the point that it almost tastes like syrup.

A regular Moscato is also very sweet - almost too much. A regular Zindandel (not a White Zin) is a red wine that's probably a little too dry for what you're describing as your wife's tastes.

Good Luck! This is actually a big task! Trying to pick a wine for a non-wine drinker is tough!!

/ Christmas Cheer #8  
Mogan David, that's the ticket. Heeheheheeeee, well, that's wha' me mother used on her fruitcakes way back. I ain't nary drinker, so I don't know. All I know is I have not done ANY shopping yet! :pessimist: