Any kind of recourse for land getting logged behind me?

/ Any kind of recourse for land getting logged behind me? #1  

ShowroomShine

Gold Member
Tractor
2019 Case IH 55A
*Responses throughout the thread, please read them before posting*

The land (15-20ac) directly behind me is getting logged. We (neighbors and I) found out today they are just cutting pines, but that the loggers doing the work are notorious in this area for leaving the jobsite without replanting or cleaning up.

Obviously, this is going to be a huge eyesore as well a ding our property values (we were planning on selling in the next few years).

Is there any kind of approach to this situation that could help us out? I'm not trying to start a war, or be a lousy neighbor, but I feel that I need to do something to prevent this operation from leaving the property in such a mess.

Is there any kind of law in Virginia that says they have to clean and replant? How would you guys approach the situation?

Last edited:
   / Any kind of recourse for land getting logged behind me? #3  
Have you and your neighbors discussed your concerns with the landowner?

/ Any kind of recourse for land getting logged behind me?
Have you and your neighbors discussed your concerns with the landowner?

Apparently the landowner is 90ish years old. Its reported that he didnt want it logged, but these loggers convinced him otherwise (possible take advantage situation).

/ Any kind of recourse for land getting logged behind me? #5  
Seed Tree Law and Reforestation of Timberlands

The Seed Tree Law (above) from Bruce's link is interesting. I don't know about replanting, except as it applies to the Virginia Seed Tree rules. Most forestry in my area relies on natural regeneration.

I wouldn't get too upset about the appearance. That area will soon (3-5 years) have lots of fresh new re-growth, new seedlings, under-story saplings spreading out, etc.

From a forest health perspective--here in Maine at least--a logging site should not be cleaned-up to look like a park. The tree tops and limbs are returning soil nutrients plus providing partial shade and shelter for new seedlings.

/ Any kind of recourse for land getting logged behind me? #6  
Might be worth a shot anyway, we had someone do some logging for us a few years ago and left a mess that took us years to clean up, if someone had warned my mother, she would have contracted with someone else. I won't allow any logging on our land because of what I see going on at other places.

/ Any kind of recourse for land getting logged behind me? #7  
I'd say you need to know the local laws, maybe talk to your neighbor to help him understand if he does not. Also keep an eye on the progress, maybe suggest a "phased" plan so that the owner can see the "end" results. But beyond that it is his business, his property.

/ Any kind of recourse for land getting logged behind me? #8  
Its reported that he didnt want it logged, but these loggers convinced him otherwise (possible take advantage situation).
In very general terms, if one logging company approached him and persuaded him to let them log it (no competitive bids or forester involved), he didn't get any where near the value of the timber that he could have. If he's already signed on the dotted line & cashed the check it may be to late, but if not you may be able to convince him he's being ripped off and he may back out.

/ Any kind of recourse for land getting logged behind me? #9  
How do you define 'leaving a mess'?

If the ground is cut up with ruts, culverts crushed or blocked, piles of slash instead of being spread out, intrusion into wetlands--those are logging messes. Leaving a mess would also include poor forestry or harvest techniques like high-grading where they take the best and leave the rest. I suppose that is different in plantation forestry though which is more like farming.

Logging issues are difficult for unrelated third parties to address if there is a valid contract between two private parties. It normally falls under civil contract disputes, not criminal cases unless there is some glaring problem with streams, ponds, run-off control, outright timber theft, etc.

/ Any kind of recourse for land getting logged behind me? #10  
The land (15-20ac) directly behind me is getting logged. How would you guys approach the situation?

I would mind my own business, Taking out trees on someone else's property is no harm to neighbors.