A different kind of thread in praise and thanks for GOOD neighbors

/ A different kind of thread in praise and thanks for GOOD neighbors #1  

JRobyn

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330HST
Lest we all be consumed in this happy season with stories of unwanted neighbor actions like logging, lighting, or fence destruction, here is one in praise and thanks for GOOD neighbors. Is anyone else blessed like I am with great neighbors? Let's hear about them too!

I got an unexpected call last week from the half-owner of the totally undeveloped 65 acres adjacent to us. He and his mom are co-owners. She is a friend of ours in the "neighborhood", about 2-3 miles away, and getting up in years a bit. We have several times asked politely for an opportunity to bid on the land should they ever decide to sell. We have a "shared use common access easement road" between our property and theirs. We have done ALL improvement and maintenance on the road since we bought our land about 10 years ago. And have installed a gate with power-operator out at the main road (we gave all of their family access codes for the operator). So he called to let us know that 1) he has finally convinced his mom to either log or sell the property since neither of them have any particular use or sentimental connection to the land, and; 2) he had given permission (and his gate access code) to some real-estate and timber folks to come and evaluate the property, and; 3) to reassure us that they would NOT sell or have the property logged without our knowledge in advance, or without giving us some opportunity to buy it instead.

I could not ask for any better behavior from a neighbor. I guess it pays off that we have tried our best to be good neighbors to them as long as we have been here.

- Jay

/ A different kind of thread in praise and thanks for GOOD neighbors #2  
I love my closest neighbor. They go to Florida for 6 months every winter, and don't say boo when they are home. Gotta love that...

/ A different kind of thread in praise and thanks for GOOD neighbors #3  
It's very important to have good neighbors when you live in a condo - neighbors on 5 sides... currently they are all good to great neighbors. Above and to one side have been the same neighbors for 16 years. On the other side - boy do we know what 'bad' neighbors can be and are very thankful for the good ones there now! (the ones on diagonals don't impact us so don't really count).

Yep, thankful for good neighbors.

/ A different kind of thread in praise and thanks for GOOD neighbors #4  
As my wife and I grow older, 60 & 54, we find ourselves much less tolerant of the masses. We watch the animals that fill the news each day and just shake our heads over the collapse of decency in society. It is with great pleasure that we are beginning the process of building in the middle of our 110 acres. With luck, we will find some separation from the world, toss the cellphones in a box and spend time watching the wildlife and enjoying the peace and quiet.

/ A different kind of thread in praise and thanks for GOOD neighbors #5  
One of my neighbors will be good when they are no longer neighbors. Wow, Too bad I had to say that, this time of year.

/ A different kind of thread in praise and thanks for GOOD neighbors
As my wife and I grow older, 60 & 54, we find ourselves much less tolerant of the masses. We watch the animals that fill the news each day and just shake our heads over the collapse of decency in society. It is with great pleasure that we are beginning the process of building in the middle of our 110 acres. With luck, we will find some separation from the world, toss the cellphones in a box and spend time watching the wildlife and enjoying the peace and quiet.

Exactly!!!! Even with my great neighbors, I SO enjoy being a recluse-in-the-woods!

- Jay

/ A different kind of thread in praise and thanks for GOOD neighbors #7  
We are genuinely thankful for the neighbors we have. They are helpful to us, and we are helpful (or try to be) with them. We share from our gardens, chat, whatever. The are older, and sometimes need a little help. They were both raised on a farm, and are always there to give us some techinical guidance when needed. Best neighbors we have ever had.

/ A different kind of thread in praise and thanks for GOOD neighbors #8  
I have a great neighbor directly beside me. Nice good honest people that has helped me a lot, and I help them.

/ A different kind of thread in praise and thanks for GOOD neighbors #9  
Yup, the only thing better than good neighbors are no neighbors :)

/ A different kind of thread in praise and thanks for GOOD neighbors #10  
Our neighbors on the property we live on (1/4 mile away) are great. They are in their early 30s with a 10 yr old boy. They look out for us without getting in our business. We do the same for them. They have a lot of chickens that free roam. I frequently go up to their house and chase off coyotes that are after their chickens when they aren't home. Ryan comes down and drinks a couple beers with me once a week or so. When I built this house I was the young kid on the "block", 1 mile radius. Now I'm the old guy and all my neighbors are young and just starting. We are very blessed. At our farm, not so much.