Gun room

/ Gun room #1  

JMER817

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4120
Just completed my new home. In the basement I had a room added under the porch cap. Size is 6 X 20 with 10" concrete walls and 8" concrete porch cap above. No utilities in this room and is unheated. I have been planning on making a small room within this space ( 6X8 ) a location for my guns and other valuables. I plan on adding 2 X 4 walls with insulation and plastic behind the drywall. The porch cap has plastic under the concrete. The soil is very sandy and the basement has zero water issues. Do you see any issues with rust? Location is in Michigan so the outside temp varies from -10 to 90 deg. I'm sure the basement will remain in the 60 deg range. Also looking for ideas of possibly making a hidden door for this space as well.

Last edited:
   / Gun room #2  
I would at least keep a small bucket of damprid to check for moisture, before leaving thousands of dollars worth of guns in there.

/ Gun room #4  
You need a small de-humidifier. Amazon is a good place to shop.

I have had guns in a storage area near garage where there is a de-humidifier set to cycle on/off at 55% humidity, for thirteen years. No rust on guns. No rust on tools. No rust on tractor.

/ Gun room #5  
Get a humidistat and check the humidity levels, or just plan on installing a humidifier. After seeing what can happen to guns and tools when humidity is present, I would not take chances. Doesn't matter if there is a moisture problem due to it being a basement -- you could have condensation issues in a watertight room if ambient air is humid and that room is cool. I had condensation problems in my garage because the slab stayed cool, and rusted some tools before I became hip to the issue and installed a humidifier.

/ Gun room #6  
Even with all these great suggestions, I still suggest you give those firearms a good oiling and a light coverage all over.

/ Gun room #8  
Once the vault door is in place. Fill it with "valuables" and stop by lots of shoes stores for desiccant...

/ Gun room
Starting looking at vault doors online. Wow those things are expensive! Anyone have a source for a decent economical one?

/ Gun room #10  
I am in Michigan, and the humidity doesn't drop much below 50% for much of the year, usually only in the winter. I did much the same thing as you, but I didn't buy a vault door, as I figured that I am not trying to defeat a master thief, but usually local bums. Most all crimes are committed by someone you know, not complete strangers. They will be neighbors, friends of friends, and sadly, your own relatives. I put a heavy commercial door in, use it as a safe room. A dehumidifier is a good idea.