Subaru mechanic or experience on here?

/ Subaru mechanic or experience on here? #1  

JRobyn

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330HST
Hi guys,

I think there was a fairly recent thread somewhere on TBN where a Subaru dealer mechanic participated? I'm looking at a new Subaru Forester (possibly Outback) and am concerned about their reliability and service history. We would hope for it to be our commuting vehicle between GA and TN, so it will get a LOT of miles. I'd hope to get 250,000 or more out of it with good care like we have gotten with our GMC Sierra.

I believe that Subaru has now resolved the head gasket issues, but am hearing about high oil consumption and am a bit leery of the new CVT trans. Do the 2015s still have issues? Anything that an owner can do to mitigate or avoid the issues?

I've looked at Mazda CX-5, Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, and Ford Escape also, but they all now have AWD systems that are kinda marginal under conditions that we would likely encounter on a routine basis. Subaru AWD seems to be the best by far, so it keeps coming out on top.

- Jay

/ Subaru mechanic or experience on here? #2  
There are quite a few subaru owners at work in my area. I too have a '14 Outback. My information is that the head gasket issues are in the past. Have not heard anything about oil consumption. As far as the CVT, I too was hesitant. Several here have been on the road without any issues, some with 100K+

I know of 2 co-workers who have had subarus over 350k miles. Things were replaced, like trannys, but overall the basics were original. I can say that the only inherent problem I knew of was the head gasket, which Subaru did own up to (my mother-in-laws had 80k and started leaking coolant, dealer/factory replaced them for $ 100) (also the head gasket was coolant leak, not a "blown" head gasket). Overall I can say all information I know from our own and co-workers is that they are very high in reliability.

paul

/ Subaru mechanic or experience on here? #3  
I'm on my third Forester, first one I traded in at 215k, second one at 205k and current one is at 191k. I've put over 600k miles on them and besides oil, tires and other maintenance items, I have had zero major problems. I did have to replace a heater fan speed blower control on number two and I have to get my a/c checked on my "newest" one before summer but all in all its been a very reliable car. Good luck!

/ Subaru mechanic or experience on here? #4  
You are right that the other AWD systems are basically front wheel drive with rear wheel assist when the fronts slip. In real winter weather, they are pretty lame compared to the Subarus I have owned. The Subarus were darn near unstoppable in snow. It's a night and day difference.

I can't comment on recent years as the last of five Subuarus I owned was sold in 2007, but they were all excellent cars with no problems, and I hold Subaru in high esteem. Next time we need a vehicle style they make, it will be a Subaru without question. The new 2015 Outback looks phenomenal by the way, and the styling picks up from where the 2005-2010 models left off, with more of a Euro look/feel. I was not a fan of the 2010-2014 generation. New Forester looks great as well.

The CVT is pretty well tested at this point, especially from Subaru (there were one of the pioneers of the CVT back in the 80s).

Have not heard about oil consumption issues, but again, have not been in the loop recently. Head gasket issues should be long gone, as the new 2.5 is an all-new design and doesn't have coolant passages through the gasket area anymore.

Some of the best Subaru knowledge on the web used to be the Subaru forums on edmunds.com. Take a look and see if they are still active and may have some more info for you. Good luck!

/ Subaru mechanic or experience on here? #5  
I have a 2009 Legacy. 141k miles. Short of a CV joint boot cracking ($15.) no issues. Brakes lasted 100k. I use 1qt of oil in 3500 miles. Not unusual.
Steering, trans, everything is fine. I expect 300k before I get rid of it for a new version.

No issues in snow or ice. I commute 80 miles per day for work.

/ Subaru mechanic or experience on here? #6  
Wish Subaru would bring back their Baja or something similar. Could kick myself for not buying one new in their last (2006) year.

Ralph

/ Subaru mechanic or experience on here? #7  
Wish Subaru would bring back their Baja or something similar. Could kick myself for not buying one new in their last (2006) year.

Ralph

I had an 84 Brat. Loved it. So much fun. Perfect for deer hunting. Could drive through the woods right to the deer. Gave it up with only 165k. Bet it is still running.

/ Subaru mechanic or experience on here? #8  
i unfortunately don't currently own a subaru but have had many over the years. BRAT, GL, Loyale, Legacy ...

the absolute best online subaru resource: Ultimate Subaru Message Board - a GREAT community of owners

/ Subaru mechanic or experience on here? #9  
I had an '80 Brat that I bought brand new right after I turned 18. Super fun car and great in the snow. That was back before there were 4WD SUVs everywhere and even front wheel drive was not that common. My only problem with the Subarus back then was that they were pretty thin metal and prone to rust. They've since taken care of that issue.

My parents have driven Subaru's since 1978. Several of them went 200-300k miles. They had an '83 that they sold to my buddy in 1990. It had 220k miles at the time and he put another 100k or so on it before he sold it to someone else!!

I don't think you could wrong with a Subaru.

/ Subaru mechanic or experience on here? #10  
We are on our third Subaru,the latest is a 2010 Outback that we purchased new.Currently has 58,000 miles.
Trying to get the wife to trade it for a new one but she doesn't want to part with this one.
I have a close friend that has traded about the same time we did(all three times).
So that's a total of six,no problems with any of them.Best vehicle on the road for the money;and this from a long time GM owner.
We had the rear brakes replaced on the 2010@30,000 miles;UNDER WARRANTY,never would have happened with any GM that I owned.Nothing wrong with the CTV,get the four cylinder.