4' LED "shop" lights for ~ $32 at Costco

/ 4' LED "shop" lights for ~ $32 at Costco #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
I've posted before that I've a lot of fixtures to replace in my shops, about 40 eventually. Many are 8' dual bulb, single pin T12's with the ballasts slowly dying and they are on 12' ceilings.

After testing T8's and T5's I was about to go with a "bunch" of 4 bulb T5 fixtures's, mainly because LED's were to expensive. But they were still going to cost ~ $80+ /fixture PLUS bulbs. BUT they were going to be BRIGHT

Well, Costco had been selling a 4' LED fixture which puts out 3700 Lumens for $40 which was getting favorable reviews. And then Home Depot sold Commercial Electric 4 ft. LED Shop Light-54103161 - The Home Depot these for $25 in the Boston area (I got 5).

And now Costco is going to drop their price to $32 come Jan 29th.

For any of you "following" the price drop in LED's - is this going to accelerate? Will we see $10 4' fixtures?

/ 4' LED "shop" lights for ~ $32 at Costco #2  
I recently replaced the instrument pannel lights in my son's Ranger with LEDs for less than $10.00. So far so good.

/ 4' LED "shop" lights for ~ $32 at Costco #3  
Thanks for the information. The HomeDepot stores in this area advertise them at $39.88 each, but none has any in stock, I'll have to keep checking.

I like LED, mostly for the energy savings, but the cold weather starting is also a big plus. My garage and woodworking shop have florescent in it now, but the lights take forever to come on in cold weather, plus the cold ballast pays havoc with AM radio reception.

/ 4' LED "shop" lights for ~ $32 at Costco #4  
I've posted before that I've a lot of fixtures to replace in my shops, about 40 eventually. Many are 8' dual bulb, single pin T12's with the ballasts slowly dying and they are on 12' ceilings.

After testing T8's and T5's I was about to go with a "bunch" of 4 bulb T5 fixtures's, mainly because LED's were to expensive. But they were still going to cost ~ $80+ /fixture PLUS bulbs. BUT they were going to be BRIGHT

Well, Costco had been selling a 4' LED fixture which puts out 3700 Lumens for $40 which was getting favorable reviews. And then Home Depot sold Commercial Electric 4 ft. LED Shop Light-54103161 - The Home Depot these for $25 in the Boston area (I got 5).

For any of you "following" the price drop in LED's - is this going to accelerate? Will we see $10 4' fixtures?

Thanks for the news - we'd talked about getting some for our shop (probably 10 or 12) a while ago, but the reduced price is going to make that decision a lot easier!

/ 4' LED "shop" lights for ~ $32 at Costco #5  

I got ones similar to those in your link at Wal-Mart last year for about $15 each. I use 6 in my large shed and 2 in the small one. Works great for me.

Dave

/ 4' LED "shop" lights for ~ $32 at Costco #6  
Thanks for the information. The HomeDepot stores in this area advertise them at $39.88 each, but none has any in stock, I'll have to keep checking.

I like LED, mostly for the energy savings, but the cold weather starting is also a big plus. My garage and woodworking shop have florescent in it now, but the lights take forever to come on in cold weather, plus the cold ballast pays havoc with AM radio reception.

Do we know how these LED's "sound"? In other words do we know how much RF energy these lights emit?

I can verify that the Cree 60 watt models with the heat sink near the base are "clean" as well as the BR30 replacement. I don't know about the newest Cree models that look like a regular light bulb without the heat sink and have the air cooling slits in the plastic bulb. I hate to take a chance on new bulbs as they cost so much. I bought one of the 60 watt Cree's with the heat sinks, to test and it was "clean" so I bought some more. So far so good, no "trash" detected on any frequency up to 54MHz. My wire antenna is about 25 foot above the house, but runs over it. Anyone having any information on radiated RF from various brands or configurations, I would be glad to hear from you.

Last edited:
   / 4' LED "shop" lights for ~ $32 at Costco #7  
Do we know how these LED's "sound"? In other words do we know how much RF energy these lights emit?

I can verify that the Cree 60 watt models with the heat sink near the base are "clean" as well as the BR30 replacement. I don't know about the newest Cree models that look like a like bulb without the heat sink and have the air cooling slits in the plastic bulb. I hate to take a chance on new bulbs as they cost so much. I bought one of the 60 watt Cree's with the heat sinks, to test and it was "clean" so I bought some more. So far so good, no "trash" detected on any frequency up to 54MHz. My wire antenna is about 25 foot above the house, but runs over it. Anyone having any information on radiated RF from various brands or configurations, I would be glad to hear from you.
What type of wire are you running? I have a normal G5RV and a double size also don't use the normal one much anymore but would like to put up an antenna at the beach and the lot is small looking for something that will tune on 80m ...

/ 4' LED "shop" lights for ~ $32 at Costco #8  
What type of wire are you running? I have a normal G5RV and a double size also don't use the normal one much anymore but would like to put up an antenna at the beach and the lot is small looking for something that will tune on 80m ...

A so called "windom" or more properly called an off center fed dipole with a 4 to 1 balun. It is pretty good size though, about 135 feet long in total, fed at the 1/3 point. 45 foot in one direction and 90 foot in the other. You can zig zag the legs some or droop them some, with reduced efficiency.

The thing works well though.

/ 4' LED "shop" lights for ~ $32 at Costco #9  
A so called "windom" or more properly called an off center fed dipole with a 4 to 1 balun. It is pretty good size though, about 135 feet long in total, fed at the 1/3 point. 45 foot in one direction and 90 foot in the other. You can zig zag the legs some or droop them some, with reduced efficiency.

The thing works well though.
Great another one to check out the G5RV if I remember right is at 102' total the double size is 204' I have that one up about 40' at one end and 80' at the other so I will probably be disappointed in anything else I find in comparison but I just don't have the room at the other place.

/ 4' LED "shop" lights for ~ $32 at Costco #10  
I also have 8 foot fluorescent lights in my shop that I'm not happy with. Seems like I'm always replace bulbs, or living with one or two of them being burned out until I can't take it any longer.

I bought two dawn to dusk LED's made by Brinks for the front and back of my house with mixed results. The light they give off is great, but one of them only lasted a week before it wouldn't come on again. I'm pretty sure it's the sensor and not the LED itself. I'm impressed with the amount of light they give off and would like to replace my shop lights with LED's.

For those of you who have done this, have you noticed a difference in the amount of light you get? How many LED lights did you put up to replace your fluorescent lights?

Eddie