Unplugged Canning

/ Unplugged Canning #1  

Marveltone

Veteran Member
Tractor
Fordson Major Diesel, McCormick Deering W4, Ford 1510, John Deere L111
I know it seems like an odd time to be canning venison, but we were busy right after deer season, so we had everything deboned, bagged, and frozen until we could devote the time for a proper canning job. While we were getting set up, it occurred to me we're using a somewhat unique piece if equipment that some of you nay be interested in.

A couple years ago, we bought a kerosene stove, specifically for this process. It keeps the electric range free for normal cooking while the canner is hissing away. The stove is made by Butterfly company, in Indonesia. It has 22 cotton wicks and produces up to 14,000 BTU/hr for 10 to 18 hours, making it pretty ideal for canning.

I've posted some pictures of the whole unit with and without the canner, as well as with the top and catalytic converter removed, so you can see the wicks.

ForumRunner_20150125_181739.png

ForumRunner_20150125_181930.png

ForumRunner_20150125_182006.png

ForumRunner_20150125_182038.png

Just thought you might be interested.

Sent from my XT907 using TractorByNet

/ Unplugged Canning #2  
Hmmm - a most unique piece of cookware. I've never heard or seen anything like that. How long does it take to run thru one canning cycle? I can sure remember my mother canning vegetables and how the kitchen was a place to avoid because it would get so hot. Then one year the canning operation was set up on the back porch and a Coleman camp stove was used for the canning. That's where all the canning was done up until the day my mother finally gave in and started freezing all the vegetables.

/ Unplugged Canning
A typical canning cycle for venison is 10 psi for 75 min., but it also takes time to get up to temperature, then the cool down. We like to have a good 3 hours minimum for the whole cycle. Yes, it can get warm, so winter is a good time to do it.

/ Unplugged Canning #4  
I, too, have never heard of or seen such a thing but we've sure done a lot of canning on the kitchen stove.

/ Unplugged Canning
We like doing things differently on Minnesota Hill. ;)

/ Unplugged Canning #6  
I do all of my canning in the backyard using LP burners. That eliminates the heat buildup in the house and it's a lot easier to clean up afterwards, but I'd never heard or seen those stoves. After reading this thread, I looked them up and found that Amazon sells them and they're very reasonably priced. I may try one out this summer and see if they will work in my application. It does appear that they run quite a long time on 2 or 3 quarts of kerosene which would be cheaper than LP over that same time period.

Thanks, interesting story there.

/ Unplugged Canning #7  
That unit reminds me of my Mom's old kerosene kitchen cook stove, albeit much more sophisticated. Each burner had a wick, which you could turn up and down like an old kerosene lantern. It was my job to fill the jug from an old kerosene can which sat outside the kitchen door. Those were the days!

/ Unplugged Canning #8  
I bought a Blichmann stainless LP burner that is marketed for home brewers to heat the canner. The burner on the side of the Weber is for blanching the veggies.

My parents used to do everything inside on the electric stove, but now that we have the LP hardware we can do more production and not heat up the house in the summer. Having more area to work is nice too.

My mother still likes to can beef inside the house but that's generally when its fall or winter.

I'm kind of interested in trying to build a rocket stove and try canning on that a little. I always have a little spare wood laying around that I can get rid of.

/ Unplugged Canning #9  
Neat stove you have there...

IF I want to keep the heat outside, or free up the kitchen stove, I use my Findlay Condor,

standard.jpg

It doesn't take very many scraps of wood to keep it going for hours,

standard.jpg

and the oven heats very evenly, perfect for baking!

standard.jpg

We just love the thing!

We do quite a bit of canning too...

SR